Bel Canto high rez USB playback at last

aardvark baguette

12-2-08-bel-canto-usb-spdif.jpg

This is the update to the Dac3 that allows for high rez playback. Its a lot steeper than I thought it would be. Still, I'm tempted. I think someone on the Computer Audiophile forums was going on about how it uses a better USB chip too. (as opposed to what the Dac3 uses)

I'd have to get an explanation as to what it does better than the M Audio transit via toslink before buying.

Someone talk me out of it.

Not a bad way to look at it, but I still want more out of commercial offerings. The Bel Canto doesn't even have the metal endcaps!

Yeah, seems unlike them.... they have a certain aesthetic to their cases and this seems to go against that. I can understand saving money, but this seems uncharacteristic... perhaps it's a photo of a demo/prototype unit? I don't see anything official on their site yet.

I'm trying to figure out why I would take this over the M Audio transit. Is there any reason to assume it would transfer digital better over the BNC cable?

BNC offers true 75-ohm termination, while RCA can at best approximate that. BNC is also easier to attach and remove, and stays secured better. It's a pro standard and a much nicer to work with. I cannot argue that any of this will have an effect on sound quality.

How well does USB2.0 handle 24bit/192KHz stereo audio? I wish more high end DACs/converted used FireWire. How much is a FW400 port going to add to the cost a $2500 DAC? Yes, I know, spoken like a true Mac twit. A Macbook-Jan2008-equipped twit, at that. Doesn't change the fact that FW is a more robust spec, with better sustained throughput.

How well does USB2.0 handle 24bit/192KHz stereo audio? I wish more high end DACs/converted used FireWire. How much is a FW400 port going to add to the cost a $2500 DAC? Yes, I know, spoken like a true Mac twit. A Macbook-Jan2008-equipped twit, at that. Doesn't change the fact that FW is a more robust spec, with better sustained throughput.

USB 2.0 can do 24/96 without a problem.

The FW port might be pretty cheap, but the circuitry to convert FW to digital in the DAC might not be...

And Apple is changing their FW spec so frequently, I'd rather do USB.

I'd like to see a USB to AES/EBU converter. But that's only because all the DACs I've owned had that connection :D

Edited by deepak