What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

punchbrotherspunch.jpg

Vicki, how does this album sound? I have a dig. copy of it, obtained less than ethically, and it is absolutely terrible. Muffled dynamics, flabby bass, yuck. It's so bad that I held off on buying the real deal, for fear that it would be basically the same.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

cover-1.jpg

It has all the faults of its two predecessors (overlong epics, weird transitions between song sections, part of songs that feel like jams, cheesy lyrics), but also all the qualities (great musicianship, great interaction between players, awesome "prog" moments, uplifting music). Overall, I like the album, it's a thousand miles better than the last three Dream Theater albums and it should please Transatlantic fans.

beatles-revolver.jpg

BC-13 vinyl

when i was younger, and this album was always winning "greatest album of all time" recognition, i always used to scoff. I loved the Beatles, but didn't understand why this was better then Sgt. Pepper, or White Album, or Abbey Road. I get it know. I could listen to just "She Said, She Said" and "For No One" over and over and over and never get sick of them for the rest of my life.

Its eerie how many of this songs could have been written at various points in rock history and fit in perfectly.

Vicki, how does this album sound? I have a dig. copy of it, obtained less than ethically, and it is absolutely terrible. Muffled dynamics, flabby bass, yuck. It's so bad that I held off on buying the real deal, for fear that it would be basically the same.

It's not you. It really does suck

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

It has all the faults of its two predecessors (overlong epics, weird transitions between song sections, part of songs that feel like jams, cheesy lyrics), but also all the qualities (great musicianship, great interaction between players, awesome "prog" moments, uplifting music). Overall, I like the album, it's a thousand miles better than the last three Dream Theater albums and it should please Transatlantic fans.

Thanks for that short description, I had stopped keeping track of Transatlantic, but now I'll at least give them a listen.

(I did like the most recent Dream Theater album, however.)

It's not great, which is sad because I like the musicianship. I recently bought a mound of cds, and this is the one I won't be listening to much at all, or ever, again.

MarcinWasilewskiCD.jpg

Edited by boomana

It's not great, which is sad because I like the musicianship.

Yeah, the actual musicianship and the music itself is top notch. I get the impression that they went for the traditional "crowd around an old microphone" bluegrass recording approach, but I'm disappointed with the result. Luckily, there's plenty more Chris Thile that's well recorded.