My K1000 arrived today!

swt61

I got home from work to find a box from the UK on my desk. Yippie!

I hooked up the pig tail to my amps speaker taps, and plugged the 4 pin socket of the K1000 into that.

Turned on my Beta22 and no sound. :(

Hmmm let's see now, the amp seems to be working fine, the speaker adapter is hooked up right, what's missing?

Oh yeah, maybe it's that thing that spins CDs that I just shipped out yesterday! :palm:

My phono stage still has hum issues with my SUT, and the temporary phono stage I was using went tits up. So maybe selling my CD transport would have been better delayed a week or so.

Well the new CDP is due to arrive Saturday. It's gonna be an eternity. :nate:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually got my iPod Classic, and used an LOD w/mini phono, plugged the mini phono into a 1/4" phono adaptor, plugged the 1/4" phono adaptor into a 1/4" phono to two XLR adaptor, and plugged the two XLR plugs into my Beta22 input.

Not surprisingly it was all but unlistenable. Too many adaptors and a far less than ideal source.

Is it Saturday yet?

Take some pics of you wearing them in the mean time :)

Yeah, cos only then you are officially an alien:cool:

Need to shave first.

geez Steve that sucks. Somehow I feel personally responsible... just ship them to me here in China and I'll see what I can do :) I bet the Millet portable can drive them just fine :)

Uh huh, yeah right.

urinal.gif

I actually got my iPod Classic, and used an LOD w/mini phono, plugged the mini phono into a 1/4" phono adaptor, plugged the 1/4" phono adaptor into a 1/4" phono to two XLR adaptor, and plugged the two XLR plugs into my Beta22 input.

Not surprisingly it was all but unlistenable. Too many adaptors and a far less than ideal source.

No, that sounds about right. You should sell them...

...to me.

OK, I found a mini phono-dual RCA adapter. I'm running it straight out of the iPod headphone out, since my LOD seems to have a short. This is connected to an RCA input on my Consonance integrated amp, with the K1000 being driven from the speaker taps. It's not the optimal setup, but I'm finally getting a pretty clean sound.

Sadly I'm starting to think I'm having some issues with the Beta22, but I'll know better once the CDP arrives.

This is my first experience with the K1000 other than meet settings. It's too early for any firm impressions, and I'll need a much better source before any serious listening. That said however, I'm really loving the soundstage here. The bass is not that bad either. No worries there though, as I have two Onix UFW-10 subs that I could patch into the system once I get things worked out.

The seller told me that the K1000 was way to sterile for him. He felt they weren't very musical. That had me a bit concerned, as I favor musicality over technical attributes most of the time. He said he much prefered the HD600. I own modded HD580s (basically the same phone) that I quite like, but even early on I can say without a doubt that I wouldn't qualify the K1000 as sterile and non musical. It's a very different presentation to be sure, but wholey enjoyable and musical to my ears.

Can't wait 'til Saturday!

Indeed, not sterile to my ears. They're very good sounding, fast, detailed and a very good overall balance. I don't know where they got this 'sterile/metallic' label from. Maybe they just had bad gear mismatches, mine sound fucking sweet and I'd rather listen to a K1K from my DAP than a 580/600 from a top end setup.

Good luck with the B22, hopefully it's not fucked up in any expensive way.

That said however, I'm really loving the soundstage here.

Blargh, lucky bastard, it took me for-feckin-ever to find the two positions where I got great soundstage out of them. Anywhere else and it did weird things with the center of the soundstage for me.

And the K1000 is definitely not sterile sounding... maybe if you play some dull music that has no soul to it then they'll sound that way, but not normally. :P

Indeed, not sterile to my ears. They're very good sounding, fast, detailed and a very good overall balance. I don't know where they got this 'sterile/metallic' label from. Maybe they just had bad gear mismatches, mine sound fucking sweet and I'd rather listen to a K1K from my DAP than a 580/600 from a top end setup.

Good luck with the B22, hopefully it's not fucked up in any expensive way.

Agreed, even with an iPod it's pretty damn impressive so far. Alison Krauss is always the deciding factor on new headphones for me, and she's sounding amazing. Vocals are just beautiful, maybe he listens to techno or something. I'll have to ask him about his music preferences.

I'll know more about the Beta22 soon enough, but I've already been considering a recase at the least, So it's not a big concern, and I doubt it's a major issue.

Blargh, lucky bastard, it took me for-feckin-ever to find the two positions where I got great soundstage out of them. Anywhere else and it did weird things with the center of the soundstage for me.

May I ask where those settings are?

I seem to be prefering somewhere near the midpoint ATM. That may change with a better source, I'm not sure. dunno.gif

It depends on the kind of music, but I generally use them either nearly fully extended (unamped / acoustic) or what I think is about a third of the way out (amped / studio). I adjust them by feel with them on my head, so I'm not really sure on the exact positioning.

Sterile my ass, only if you feed them wrongly...Some people just dont understand that these are speaker amp driving ear speakers, done. I tried them from out of several amps, but only the A class speaker apm, maybe tubes would be better, will give them what they really need, imo. Their requirements are like 10w pch, dont need more.

I never had a chance to tried them from any A class, or else, tube speaker amp, but man, even from out of TrendsAudio T 10.1 they sound more than just acceptable, imo. This T amp is a killer and I can only imagine about his performences if you mod this monster...

Silly question, but do you K1000 owners use a mirror when you're adjusting the speaker positions? In my one experience with K1Ks, I found it hard to make meaningful adjustments without being able to see the relative positions. This was many years ago, in an upscale audio shop. I used the the chrome front of a blinged out Krell to see what I was doing. Spearit Sound didn't see fit to install vanity mirrors in their listening room.

I take them off, judge by eye, then put them back on. Though most of the time so far I've listened on full toe-out or with a tiny bit of toe out so that the inner grille doesn't touch my ear.

And Steve, havent you got a neighbour you can steal a CD player from? Get that balaclava out.