My K1000 arrived today!

swt61

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holey crap I'm such a moron! I had no idea the pads opened up until reading your post. I mean they were comfy for me before, but I really like them opened even better.

How many years would I have gone without knowing that? Crap they even have little tabs that I hadn't noticed!

Mucho thanks for that tidbit, and feel free to share anything else that I might not know. That could be a vast list though, I'll warn you ahead of time.

Fuck me sideways! I didn't know that either:palm: I might like these after all.

The K1000 still cause me some listening fatigue if I've been using them for a few hours. The high frequencies still bother me with a lot of the jazz I have and I still greatly prefer the bass and midrange of the O2. In short bursts K1000 with my friend's 300B amps though... woah :ian:

I sometimes think some older amps may be better suited to the K1k, something very smooth with a sweet top end. The K1k can be very top aggressive with a bad match. My old Hafler amp doesn't do anything nasty with them at the top and they sound glorious.

Anyway, I discovered the pad adjusters and pad fitting method because I'm a compulsive fiddler/tweaker. I can't leave anything alone if I like it. :palm:

Holey crap I'm such a moron! I had no idea the pads opened up until reading your post. I mean they were comfy for me before, but I really like them opened even better.

How many years would I have gone without knowing that? Crap they even have little tabs that I hadn't noticed!

Mucho thanks for that tidbit, and feel free to share anything else that I might not know. That could be a vast list though, I'll warn you ahead of time.

I think I went about 5 minutes before noticing the pad adjustments, but then again you probably don't start looking at how to disassemble a pair of headphones before you've even listened to them. With the pads all the way out, and headband slightly loosened by bending, I find the K1000 rather comfortable, just a bit unusual feeling.

The K1000 here at home in my system has just floored me. What they say about meets not being a great place to audition headphones is very true. I'm finding the K1000 very enguaging and very musical. I did not get that feeling in the meet situation.

I too am loving the midrange. That wasn't a big surprise for me though, after so many years with the K340. But the K1000 for me has all the good points of the K340, but it expands on them to a level I never thought possible. The soundstage for me is a huge reason to use these headphones, almost enough so to live with some flaws. The thing is the flaws don't seem to exist. OK maybe there's a few octaves of bass sacrificed, but I've never been a bass head, and to me it's a damn good balance.

Add to that the detail and refinement, and I can certainly understand what the K1000 lovers were so eager to expound on.

I agree with this assessment. Impressions & reviews had led me to believe the K1000 would be detail oriented headphone with screechy treble issues and no bass, but I found that wasn't exactly true. It's got the nice AKG midrange and I haven't heard any treble problems in the two pairs I've listened to, and it's definitely got a lot fewer colourations than my K340. Unfortunately I crave bass and can't live without it, so the K1000 doesn't fit into the picture.

Unfortunately I crave bass and can't live without it, so the K1000 doesn't fit into the picture.

I know I'm far from the first guy to do it, but running an active subwoofer (or in my case 2) really gives palpable bass. I thought it might sound a little disjointed, and hard to get a smooth transition, but I haven't found this to be the case.

I sometimes don't even bother with the subs, but if I'm in for the long haul I'll kick 'em on.

Fuck me sideways! I didn't know that either:palm: I might like these after all.

Well I feel a lot better now.

I think I went about 5 minutes before noticing the pad adjustments, but then again you probably don't start looking at how to disassemble a pair of headphones before you've even listened to them. With the pads all the way out, and headband slightly loosened by bending, I find the K1000 rather comfortable, just a bit unusual feeling.

Well I am that guy that likes to see what makes things work, that's why I'm so stunned that I hadn't caught this. However as I said they've been comfy for me from day one anyway, so I guess I had no need to look deeper. I think my hat size is 7 5/8, so most headphones are pretty comfy for me.

The switch locks/unlocks whether or not the earspeaker itself swings out. It's broken on most used models, because no-one knows to unlock it before swinging them out.

Ah, okey dokey. I see now. My switch doesn't totally prevent the earspeaker from swinging out, but I can see now how it's trying to. Thanks Dusty.

for those that like the sound...it really pays to invest in better sources and amps.

Noticed big improvements going from a SP extreme -> 300b SET and from audio aero capitole -> emm labs.

Sound becomes more balanced and less aggressive so that'll definitely make it less fatiguing for long listening sessions.

Has anyone else heard Pete Millet's ECC99 K1000 amp? I only saw impressions from the one Texas meet. 12AU7s might be just what the K1000 needs...

Plus like Marc said in another thread, the GBP is worthless compared to the USD, and now might be the time to buy Sowter transformers.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been spending the evening listening to my K1000 (Smeggy's old #1478 ) off my balanced Square Wave XL and it's sounding pretty nice. There's plenty of power on tap, and it's not too bright or fatiguing at all. The sound is not quite as snappy and punchy as Naaman's were with his beta 22, but this is a little warmer and smoother or laid back sounding. It plays down to 31Hz with only a little roll-off at that point but a huge cliff drop at 25Hz - this is similar to a few other open air phones I have. It also sounds very good off my 5 watt/ch Travagans Red with AD743 opamps, which is normally driving an SRD-7 Mk2 and stats. I'm glad Naaman introduced me to the K1000 at the last meet. I had to give up my O2 Mk1 in trade to snag these, but now I'm considering Naaman's O2 Mk1 to replace those. If I do buy his I can always sell the O2 Mk2 or Edition 9 later.

Hmmm, really glad to hear you like them so much. And I'm very glad to hear how they sound with the Beta22.

Once my Beta22 revisions are done I'm sure that will be my main amp for the K1000.

Yes, I would prefer the Beta 22 for them over the Square Wave XL - I might have to get one myself to drive my K1000 and my SRD-7 Pro with Stax.

The other good news is that I tried the K1000 off a Qinpu A-3 8-watt/ch tube amp from head-direct today and it sounds a little better than a Square Wave with the K1000 with some nice GE and Sylvania tubes that Skylab recommended.

In other news Nugget Audio is pleased to announce that we have begun accepting bribes, er, preference payments for those customers wishing to see their projects completed sooner rather than later. ;D

Pretty soon Nugget Audio's going to be running a protection racket. If you don't pay the protection money, the case will be wired hot to electrocute the user. >:D

Sucks for both of you that I'm working on your betas then, eh?

In other news Nugget Audio is pleased to announce that we have begun accepting bribes, er, preference payments for those customers wishing to see their projects completed sooner rather than later. ;D

Nope, I'm totally cool with whatever timeframe it takes. The only downside is all the money I keep spending to update the look. The latest being stunning looking volume knobs from Justin.

speaking of gold knobs do any of you remember that nutter who cast his own out of 18ct gold - looked pretty damned awesome but meh!!

I have yet to hear AMB's creation, one day and better yet in combo with the K1000 ;) . If only it had tubes :rolleyes: , I just can't bring myself to build anything that doesn't glow anymore

expecting to read great things from both of you fellas ..dB