My K1000 arrived today!

swt61

Nobody can make the decision for you, but I will say that I'm very, very happy with my K1000. It has impressed me beyond my expectations.

It has become and will remain my main heaphone.

Unlike some I also find it quite comfortable.

I prefer it to the better stats I've heard (007 Mk1, Lambda, Lambda Pro, Sigma Pro, HE60 & ESP950), but that's just me. I've never been as fully impressed with stats as others have.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing which worries me a little is the seller, because he's the moderator in that forum and it's a little bit like HF where some comments about products mysteriously disappear, and after some search I found out that he has a K1000 so I'm not sure it is that one or another that's practically new... Still, the exchange rate is so bad that it equals even less than 500.

I am glad your choice to sell it all for the K1000 turned out to be the right one Steve. Now, how do you plan to woody them?

I'll have to settle for having a woody when I'm listening to them. ;)

I am building a new wall rack to hold them and two circumaural headphones though. And I have plans to build a really cool looking custom box for them, utilizing the stock foam.

I'll be receiving one of Duggeh's masterful Orthodomes that will be woodied, and I have a pair of T50RPs that will get the woody treatment ala Smeggy design. Then I still have my modded HD580. So I'm already building back up, and I imagine I'll have some HD800s sometime this year.

It is near the place were my girlfriend lives, so I will be able check it out later in the week. I will need an adapter cable as well to use it with a headphone amp, where to get one?

Nugget Audio just built me a gorgeous one, along with several other K1000 adaptors to take care of any situation I may encounter.

Talk to Nate and see what his schedual is.

Edited by swt61

My K1000 arrived today!

postjack-albums-k1000-picture476-20090127-k1000-day-012.jpg

postjack-albums-k1000-picture473-20090127-k1000-day-001.jpg

postjack-albums-k1000-picture474-20090127-k1000-day-007.jpg

postjack-albums-k1000-picture478-20090127-k1000-day.jpg

postjack-albums-k1000-picture477-20090127-k1000-day-015.jpg

Serial #10611. Bought from the original owner, who claims less then 100 hours use, a nice Canadian chap named Francois. Currently being powered by the Cambridge Audio 840A, sounds great. Very nice bass, though it is a little on the bright side. Midrange is wonderful of course. Not the most comfortable phone in the world for me and my big head, but its not that bad.

I've only listened to a couple tracks, looking forward to running these through their paces tonight. :)

Congrats on your new cans, Jack! Now you need a dedicated amp for it. >:D

Luckily the 840A has two sets of speaker outs. ;)

Some posts from Hirsch back in 2006 said he really enjoyed the K1000 out of the Wheatfield, and luckily enough I own one. If I can find a 1/4in K1000 adapter on the cheap I'll give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

So I definitely get the whole K1000 thing. Originally when I listened to them at Canjam, I thought they were neat, but nothing jaw droppingly stupendous. Now I see that, like the O2, the K1000s are one of those delightful cans that just continue to unfold goodness unto you throughout extended listening sessions in one's own rig.

Of course the proof is in the puddin', and the puddin' in this case is a delicious and true midrange. Tweedy's vocals on the Sundazed YHF vinyl are out of this world, same for EJ's vocals on the DCC Greatest Hits. Guitar crunch and solo-sheen are gorgeous.

There are some negatives. First, the tight fit on the skull. I'm a bitch when it comes to headphone comfort. I still haven't shut up about the K701 and I sold them two and half years ago. Having said that, the tight fit is not awful, just not super comfortable, and at least its not an idiotic design like the K701. Still, nothing beats the comfort of a plain old adjustable headband Senn HD series.

Second, I'm still experiencing some fatigue after an hour or so of listening. I'm experimenting with toe-in to see if I can reduce this.

But the above complaints don't change the fact that the K1000 has a midrange that can make men do stupid, stupid things. Not that I'm going to buy a crazy dedicated amp for the K1000, but I see how someone could. ;)

Me hath the feeling that the β22 might just be a really good match. Once I have the latest revisions done on mine I'll be able to put that theory to the test, but you know how sometimes you can put two things together that you've not actually had together?

I have a small cranium which come to think of it is probably painfully obvious here already, so I have none of the discomfort that some speak of. I also can listen to the K1000 for hours with absolutely no fatigue. I have kind of honed in on about 1/3 toe out, but I do like to move 'em around from time to time.

My experience otherwise mirrors yours. I thought they were cool when I heard Pete Millet's, and VPI's pair in Dallas, but nothing overly compelling. I also came away from that meet thinking the OII was the "IT" can.

I had a chance to spend several months with the OII here in my home a while back. Now I'm not all that enthusiastic about the OII. It's a bit too dark for me.

The K1000 here at home in my system has just floored me. What they say about meets not being a great place to audition headphones is very true. I'm finding the K1000 very enguaging and very musical. I did not get that feeling in the meet situation.

I too am loving the midrange. That wasn't a big surprise for me though, after so many years with the K340. But the K1000 for me has all the good points of the K340, but it expands on them to a level I never thought possible. The soundstage for me is a huge reason to use these headphones, almost enough so to live with some flaws. The thing is the flaws don't seem to exist. OK maybe there's a few octaves of bass sacrificed, but I've never been a bass head, and to me it's a damn good balance.

Add to that the detail and refinement, and I can certainly understand what the K1000 lovers were so eager to expound on.

With my workaday set I did gently bend the bands out a little which helps with the pressure. Opening the pads helps as did reversing the front pad so they both taper in to the front. That provides your temples with a more uniform pad area rather than two padded spikes. After these quick and reversible mods they are much more comfy for the long run.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying them, they are very, very fucking cool :cool:

And the fatigue thing, some find them to have a steely metallic top end, I found no such with my old hafler amp but apparently some have this problem. *shrugs*

Opening the pads helps as did reversing the front pad so they both taper in to the front. That provides your temples with a more uniform pad area rather than two padded spikes.

Holey crap I'm such a moron! I had no idea the pads opened up until reading your post. I mean they were comfy for me before, but I really like them opened even better.

How many years would I have gone without knowing that? Crap they even have little tabs that I hadn't noticed!

Mucho thanks for that tidbit, and feel free to share anything else that I might not know. That could be a vast list though, I'll warn you ahead of time.