swt61

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love it. Thanks in advance. :)

But first, one question, would it be redundant to own both? :confused:

I can answer that...NO.

The K1000 is dynamic at it's best IMO. And while being a top tier headphone, there are definitely sonic differences between it and the electrostatic 007 MkI.

Which is better of coarse will be a matter of individual opinion, but I doubt you'd feel that owning both would be redundant.

I know boomana sold her K1000s to buy a volume knob for her blue hawaii :)

Well then, the question now becomes, does she regret getting that expensive volume knob? :P Too bad its gonna take some time before she actually gets that volume knob and all the "accessories" that come with it and decides if it was all worth it. ;D

I doubt you'd feel that owning both would be redundant.

Thank you. That's good to hear. Bad for my wallet, but good for me. ;)

Now I just need to dig a little deeper and find out how they complement each other.

*sits back, relaxes to some Buddha Bar and waits for Doug to make a post*

Hmm, might have to face off a T50RP against the Orthodome soon. Trouble is ensuring I get one with the new pads off of whatever seller I find.

I may have to build us a pair of those Smeggy T50RP specials Douglas. Those look sweet, and Smegster seems to be quite taken with the sound.

I'm with you though, I need to be certain that they have the new pads.

I'll be sure to get whoever is doing the selling to open up and look for me.

I don't know what the (size) measurements of the T50RP driver are but it being square instead of convenient size round like the SFI drivers is a complication enough. I'd want to try getting one into a Goldring housing if at all possible in order to make some balanced as possible comparisons between the drivers themselves once they're all tweaked out under the same circumstances.

Got to be circumnaural whatever bodging around gets done. Almost everyone goes for the on-the-ear bodge with their orthos but from the off in my efforts it was something I was determined to avoid. I don't know who has got the one I built into a Stax SR-3N housing now but that one wasn't as good as the Goldring efforts.

With your superior bodgering skills you're going to have to make a T50RP Donut at some point in time. ;)

The safest way to transplant them is just by cutting the whole plastic plate off and trimming to size, like smeggy did, since the neodymium magnets are not fun to deal with, let loose. I don't think a Goldring will do in this case.

I'm going to try to transfer a pair of SFI drivers into an old Audio-Technica fosterphone with the same frame as the old electrets they used to make. So in other words, small cup volume, supraaural, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid, but it's the easiest way to get these drivers to actually sound decent.

T50RP Donut sounds very cool, though.

Is it? I have that CD around here somewhere, I'll have to give it a listen on the K1000 sometime. I remember it being mastered pretty warm and thick sounding, and not liking it too much on my (already warm and thick sounding) Sextetts.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting sick of local deals but I found one again...K1000 new in box for about 500 EUR. Should I start selling something which I have and go for it? Would it work with a Gilmore Lite (as a temporary solution)? Thanks.

I'd say yes, 500 EUR isn't a bad price for a NIB. The Gilmore will run them, my DAP even runs them at a push, but you will need to get a decent amp for them later. If the K1000 is what you want, go for it.

I'd say yes, 500 EUR isn't a bad price for a NIB. The Gilmore will run them, my DAP even runs them at a push, but you will need to get a decent amp for them later. If the K1000 is what you want, go for it.

I've never heard one but I won't buy it without hearing it. And of course, I know that listening to it in a quiet enviroment is important, the ESW10 is quite the opposite of that so I could end up with a dynamic rig and sell everything else. I would have to sell either the dynamic or electrostatic setup more or later anyway, but this is the first time ever when I see a K1000 showing up locally.