Looking for a mid/low priced, high performing full size can

recstar24

While I am waiting for my HP's to be serviced, does anyone have any recommendations for something that can tide me over until then? Budget probably 200-300 as once the HP'1000's come in they will be taking full time. Would prefer not to go the hd650 route again as they just don't satisfy me musically regardless of the number of times I've had them and various rigs (about as much as the HP1000 actually). Definitely not into the k701.

Thoughts are the allesandrom MS2i and audio technica ad2000 (i believe that is the model that a lot of people have been praising). If anyone has thoughts on the above two, or other recommendations, that would be great. Just note that this is probably a temporary relationship since full time duty will specifically be the HP-1000's.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they're not very popular around here, but I've always enjoyed the Beyer DT880 every time I've heard them. And I see them for US$242.something on shopping.yahoo.com.

Thanks for the recommendation. The 880 was one of the 1st cans I professionally reviewed and I did not find it for my tastes at the time, presenting to my ears and rig at the time a somewhat bright, lean sound signature. With live and acoustic music however I remember it performed admirably. I think at the time the dt880 was a 600 ohm version which was meant to be driven by the european standard of 150 output ohm impedance, vs. what I was driving with a solid state very low near zero output impedance, probably contributing to the sound signature I just described. I would imagine the current newer version which I believe may be lower impedance or something else tweaked would be an improvement.

ATH-AD2000 would be a good choice, but you won't find them in the price range you're looking for. I heard these phones in various setups at meets and I thought they were very fast for dynamics and performed well with acoustic music, but their sound signature was a little bit too harsh for my tastes. Also, I thought they lacked a little bit of bass quantity, but I can see why many people like these cans.

I don't know if you have experience with electrostatics, but if you don't mind stetching your budget a bit, the SRS-2050 system would be my pick at 600$ new and much less if you can find it used.

I have the MS-2 (which supposedly sounds very similar to the ms-2i) right now and it sounds fantastic in its price range. It doesn't have the frequency jumps (the sound doesnt feel coherent over the whole spectrum) that the lower end grados have and is slightly more bassy then the other grados as well.

I know chekonte has a pair of the ms-2is and postjack had the ms-2is for a while too so you might want to ask them for more detailed impressions.

Thanks for the recommendation. The 880 was one of the 1st cans I professionally reviewed and I did not find it for my tastes at the time, presenting to my ears and rig at the time a somewhat bright, lean sound signature. With live and acoustic music however I remember it performed admirably. I think at the time the dt880 was a 600 ohm version which was meant to be driven by the european standard of 150 output ohm impedance, vs. what I was driving with a solid state very low near zero output impedance, probably contributing to the sound signature I just described. I would imagine the current newer version which I believe may be lower impedance or something else tweaked would be an improvement.
Yeah, definitely, they didn't sound "bright" and "lean" at all when I heard them -- they're actually quite straightforward when driven well. I didn't even know there was a 600 ohm version -- I thought the DT880 came primarily in 120 ohm since it was released. I believe there are multiple versions -- I know on the Manufaktur website one can choose an impedance...

What about HD600? Very different tonally from the HD650, and on most rigs, better. The HD650 scales better IMO and off a really stellar rig will leave the HD600 behind, but on most rigs the HD600 is much more neutral, more forward, more dynamic, and more engaging. Definitely closer to Grados than any other Senn, IMO.

You can try a bass-light K340 as well. I really don't like most modded or bass-heavy pairs, but I did have a bass-light stock pair that blew everything away in the sub-$500 category. The fit was rotten since the chassis was so old, but the sonics were stellar. Electrostatic-like speed and detail, warm mids, crisp sparkly high that weren't overbearing, and very good tight punchy bass though not that deep. Also a bit of an echoey reverb coloration, but that's a common issue with most K340s.

I recently traded my 325i and cash for some AD2000, and while both were nice out of the ones you are looking at for a spare set I'd stick with the Grado 325i or Alessandro MS2i - but even an MS-1 with a good burn-in can be a stand-in while your HP-1000 are worked on.

Even better sounding would be if you could pick up a pair of HF-1 for $300-400. If you still have the Zana Deux an AKG K240M sounds great on one (Blutarsky's).

The DT880 ('05) is a nice can, but it does have that sparkling treble that can be fatiguing. I also find the mids to be somewhat recessed.

A nice alternative in the $200-$300 range would be the AKG K601. Although it is not an exciting can (ala Grados) it has a nice organic sound with surpisingly good bass. Mids are almost on par with the K501 as well as the soundstage. This is a good all rounder often forgotten about in the AKG lineup IMHO.

I see you are considering open headphones. Is there any reason you wouldn't consider a Yuin PK1? You'll have some nice phones and they are cheap enough to keep as a backup pair after your HP2s are ready.

The Yuin is a portable closed phone, correct? That may be a good option, I am not really partial one way or the other.

The Yuin is a portable closed phone, correct? That may be a good option, I am not really partial one way or the other.

The PK family are all earbuds. The PK1 needs an amplifier to sound its best, which is very good. If you don't want to use an amp, the PK2 is very nice straight out of a portable source. I'm one of the minority of people that prefer the PK2 to the PK1 (though not by much) amped or not.

I listened to the PK1s and PK2s at HeadFest in SJ being driven by a current (at the time) Head-Direct amp and my iPod. I haven't heard the PK1s since then.

I bought the PK2s. They have a nice midrange and are a little rolled off at the extremes. What they have at the extremes is tight. They have a decent soundstage but not the presence of full sized headphones (, which don't have the presence of speakers, which don't have the presence of live performance). An iPod drives them well and I find I listen a lot to them due to the convenience and their musicality.

What I remember about the PK1s is that the extremes are more present. I use a piece of organ music from the Burmester CD II to see how phones do with complex pieces of music. The PK1s sounds muddled to me in this test while the PK2s were much better. This and the fact that I didn't want to be tied to an amplifier are what led me to buy the PK2s.

Hopefully some PK1 owners will give their impressions of them. There are threads on HF about them too.

I bought my friend some Yuin OK2s for his birthday to use on the train. He's very happy with them and I thought they sounded good when I listened to them out of my iPhone for an hour or so after they arrived.

But at that price point ($170), I'd personally look for some used X10s. They're just killer out of a good amp.