Go figure

grawk

60dB if your lucky, channel matching is totally conditional on how well the parts are hand-matched

not really luck, just buy 500 of them..

Optocoupler-Matching.jpg

also, most system problems are easily alleviated with a simple buffer, if you have to be able to support every possible equipment chain out there...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60dB if your lucky, channel matching is totally conditional on how well the parts are hand-matched.

LDR's sound great, but they are fiddly as hell and probably require better system matching than most people will do. Melos used hand-selected parts for their success. The photentiometer used a full-on automotive dome-light bulb for light source: it could be replaced with an LED sure, but it would still be drawing tons of current to get a high attenuation.

i'll stick with my 110dB attenuation. 60dB, 70dB attenuation, those are listening levels with some IEMs and some source output levels.

Damn, that is sweet. I might buy one just to look at it, since I prefer using my IEMs directly from my DAP. Which kinda leads me to ask, is the market for IEM-oriented amps really that big? Not sure I get why so many people bother amping their IEMs.

Damn, that is sweet. I might buy one just to look at it, since I prefer using my IEMs directly from my DAP. Which kinda leads me to ask, is the market for IEM-oriented amps really that big? Not sure I get why so many people bother amping their IEMs.

It has as much power as most other lithium powered amps. The 'regular' Pico runs on a 2-cell, 8.4V battery, but that's unusual. So, its not specifically for IEMs, but if it can be the first choice of anyone with IEMs, I think I can live with that. A lot of the idea of this amp is to make a portable for people who aren't interested in portables because they are too bulky and offer little or no improvement. This solves those problems by being thin and offering a range of volume adjustment and precision left/right matching that you can't get from a DAP. Also, some IEMs like the Livewires and Westone ES3X are unusable from many DAPs/phones due to the amount of hiss from their headphone jacks.