Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My B-stock pair (SN# 575, the last pair) arrived today. It looks like whatever Grado used for the lettering got "smeared" on the metal cups. Almost like I could buff it out. Here is picture:

HF-22.jpg

Now more importantly, the sound. I haven't heard many Grados, only wooded 225s, late model RS1 stock & balanced and GS1000. I have never liked them. I'm sure it helps that I finally found the system I like but damn I'm glad I bought these. I've listened to some acoustic guitar and now the Decemberists and I like what I'm hearing so far :)

• 2 months later...

So the right driver on my HF-2 started going out intermittently last month. I told myself to go ahead and send it in before the year/warranty was up, but then it started working again fine and honestly I forgot it ever went out. Well this week it went out completely and I can't get it to start up again. I honestly think it is a connection issue and not a driver issue, because before I could just move the wire around and it would start working again.

Now I am 6 days out of the one year warranty (purchased date 5/15/09). I've emailed Grado and they quickly responded (as they always do) with instructions for mailing in the cans. I do not expect them to repair under warranty (nor would I have any hard feelings if they didn't, one year is one year) but we'll see.

It recently occurred to me this is the third Grado I've had a driver go out on me. First was the right driver on the RS-1, which actually wasn't Grado's error, it was blown up by my PPX3 and/or a bad tube (years later I tested the tube and it tests strong, who knows). Grado fixed it for $100. Next was the driver on my GS1000, which they repaired extremely quickly under warranty and mailed back very fast. I guess when your quality control isn't the best you have to have excellent customer service. :)

here's hoping I have another good Grado service experience.

So the right driver on my HF-2 started going out intermittently last month. I told myself to go ahead and send it in before the year/warranty was up, but then it started working again fine and honestly I forgot it ever went out. Well this week it went out completely and I can't get it to start up again. I honestly think it is a connection issue and not a driver issue, because before I could just move the wire around and it would start working again.

Now I am 6 days out of the one year warranty (purchased date 5/15/09). I've emailed Grado and they quickly responded (as they always do) with instructions for mailing in the cans. I do not expect them to repair under warranty (nor would I have any hard feelings if they didn't, one year is one year) but we'll see.

It recently occurred to me this is the third Grado I've had a driver go out on me. First was the right driver on the RS-1, which actually wasn't Grado's error, it was blown up by my PPX3 and/or a bad tube (years later I tested the tube and it tests strong, who knows). Grado fixed it for $100. Next was the driver on my GS1000, which they repaired extremely quickly under warranty and mailed back very fast. I guess when your quality control isn't the best you have to have excellent customer service. :)

here's hoping I have another good Grado service experience.

I had GS1000 drivers go out under warranty, they had to but 3 more sets of drivers in them to get them to work. So in a span of 4 months, I went thru 4 sets of drivers. Different equipment as well. I have a long Post on my issues. They were polite and kept replacing them, but I know I spent $100 on shipping! QC aint' their Thang!

FWIW, I agree with Al. I sent in my HF-1s 1.5 years OOW, got them back a little over a week later with a "N/C" slip for warranty repair. Not sure how much of that was Grado SOP, or how much was the limited edition-ness, but I was treated right.

@Les... That's what you get for getting GS1ks... but I digress. ;)

**BRENT**

PS1ks come with bagels. ;)

FWIW, I DID find a way to enjoy my time with GS1ks when I had 'em for a few weeks. I did a little writeup which only about 15 people saw... by linking here, it will be 18. Within, however, I'll take you on a mystical and magical journey through light Grado Fanboism with a dash of pad swapping thrown in for good measure.

**BRENT**

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...