Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine finally arrived. Drivers sound rather tight in the mids and treble, with the bass a bit loose. In an interesting contrast to the HF-1s, they don't sound terrible even out of a Compass, possibly because they don't have such a peaky treble. I'm hoping they will be my plug-into-anything cans. A thought came to mind that they are rather a kind of HD-650 where the HF-1s are rather more HD-600, tonally that is.

Mine finally arrived. Drivers sound rather tight in the mids and treble, with the bass a bit loose. In an interesting contrast to the HF-1s, they don't sound terrible even out of a Compass, possibly because they don't have such a peaky treble. I'm hoping they will be my plug-into-anything cans. A thought came to mind that they are rather a kind of HD-650 where the HF-1s are rather more HD-600, tonally that is.

Glad you got them in. I found the same true of the HF-1 in comparison. I never thought the HF-1 harsh at all until I had my HF-2s in. Going back to the HF-1 was... not fun.

HF-1 with flats don't sound so peaky

HF-1 on some songs does better in term of holographic imaging than HF-2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I sold my HF2 and don't regret doing so. In the end I thought it was fine for a John Grado HP but Joe Grado (HP2) simply speaks to me more with the music genres I use it for (classical & jazz primarily). Also, with the music I listened to on the HF2 (trip-hop, prog rock, metal, etc), I just enjoyed it more on either the HP2 or AD2000. I also tried the HF2 with flats, bowls, and quarter-modded HD414 pads and none of them helped either. :(

Or to put it another way, the HF2 didn't really fill any voids in my headphone collection, and in the instances that I would've used it in, I had other headphones that soundly beat it.

Sold mine. Joe beat John for me. Great can and liked it but either I listen to HP1000's or speakers, don't personally see the need for two headphones especially 2 grados.

I think for the original price they are very hard to beat and I can't see parting with mf hf1s given the absurdly low price that was charged for them and how good they sound post-mods.

I ended up canceling my order, not because they weren't bang-on the best/most fun Grado cans for the money -- because they are -- but because they couldn't do anything any of my higher-end cans couldn't do, and I couldn't justify them as beaters. It'd be like being a collector of Breitlings and Rolexes and etc., and then buying something lower end, but still limited. Limited == not a 'beater'.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I know I'm coming from a 'low-fi' perspective as compared to many others on here, but the HF-2's were a godsend for me. I've only had them 10 days, but I've used them about four hours a day and I don't pick up my HD600s unless it's for classical. I've found HF-2's very comfortable (I've got a huge noggin) and I dig the sound with the techno and rock (mostly male vocals).

So, I haven't sold mine, and don't have any plans to do so (until I'm blown away by some moar better headphone, of course!)