JH Audio stuffs

atothex

I actually think we didn't really hear the JH3A setup at it's full potential since it was running through line out of the iPod/ipad. It should get quite a bit better once you feed it a digital signal and use the amps internal DAC. I was really impressed by the guys next to JH audio who were demoing song digital output out of the iPod and sounded noteably better than through standard iPod line out. Btw those same guys were also in charge of the JH-3A dac/amp so should be great once completed and properly tweaked. Jerry mentioned he was still going to work on getting the EQ just right and I'm sure he listened to ppl's opinions at the show.

I disagree. He's using a acoustical bandpass in the crossover, that if implemened electrically would require insanely huge components for one, hence the reason to do it in DSP. A two way, yes very doable. Three way, I dunno.
No, I think Colin meant the old crossover -- it wouldn't have anywhere near the capability that the JH3A has, it'd just make it back into a 'plain' JH13/JH16.

Or at least, that's what I meant. It's the same drivers, so the only difference is, what is between the drivers and your source.

I actually think we didn't really hear the JH3A setup at it's full potential since it was running through line out of the iPod/ipad. It should get quite a bit better once you feed it a digital signal and use the amps internal DAC. I was really impressed by the guys next to JH audio who were demoing song digital output out of the iPod and sounded noteably better than through standard iPod line out. Btw those same guys were also in charge of the JH-3A dac/amp so should be great once completed and properly tweaked. Jerry mentioned he was still going to work on getting the EQ just right and I'm sure he listened to ppl's opinions at the show.

I agree. I was also quite surprised that I quite liked the digital output thingy, and spent quite a bit of time with it with my ipod and both the alo RX and pico slim, comparing it to the ipod and amps alone. The projected price point is around $500, though, which seems high to me.

From the specs the NuForce would be restricted to 16 bit, right?

Yeah, but I'm not sure the iPad camera kit can support 24 bit, since it doesn't work with a couple of my 24 bit USB DACs. I'm thinking the only drivers the iPad has are for the common 16 bit USB receiver chips.

I also don't understand why they can't sell a cable for people with the JHA-3A that includes the passive crossover in the cable. That would be good for the occasions where one would like to amp their modded JHA IEM with a normal amp like right out of their iPhone.

Yeah, but I'm not sure the iPad camera kit can support 24 bit, since it doesn't work with a couple of my 24 bit USB DACs. I'm thinking the only drivers the iPad has are for the common 16 bit USB receiver chips.

I also don't understand why they can't sell a cable for people with the JHA-3A that includes the passive crossover in the cable. That would be good for the occasions where one would like to amp their modded JHA IEM with a normal amp like right out of their iPhone.

Because the crossovers are directly wired to each driver. Also - with a normal amplifier, you only have 2 channels of amplification - you need 6 for the 13 and 8 for the 16 if that is the correct number of drivers in those.

Again, because of the acoustic element to the crossover, in the form of the cavity inside the housing that exists in the passive version and doesnt in the active.

Because the crossovers are directly wired to each driver. Also - with a normal amplifier, you only have 2 channels of amplification - you need 6 for the 13 and 8 for the 16 if that is the correct number of drivers in those.

Nope, all the driver connections are available on the plug, it must have a crapload of pins. You could definitely put a crossover of your own here, but you couldn't just use the standard JH1x crossover because of the missing acoustic elements.

I agree. I was also quite surprised that I quite liked the digital output thingy, and spent quite a bit of time with it with my ipod and both the alo RX and pico slim, comparing it to the ipod and amps alone. The projected price point is around $500, though, which seems high to me.

I'm guessing the only difference between the digital input and analog is the ADC that turns the analog to digital. I say this because I am assuming that the crossover is entirely done in the digital domain because it is tunable etc and implementing that with physical filters would be a massive PITA. In a small portable setup the DACs aren't going to be works of art but I'm sure they can be made good enough that you'll never know the difference. I'd be interested to learn what ADC and DACs they use.

I agree completely. I went in knowing that I was listening to an unfinished product that was not being utilized to its' fullest possible capacity. However, improvements in the bass and imagining were unquestionable. We used Edwood's HM-801 to get familiar test tracks and better sound than the iPad, but even so, I'm sure the internal DAC must be at least a bit better. I am impressed by Jerry's lastest technical advances, and I look forward to the finished product.

I agree completely. I went in knowing that I was listening to an unfinished product that was not being utilized to its' fullest possible capacity. However, improvements in the bass and imagining were unquestionable. We used Edwood's HM-801 to get familiar test tracks and better sound than the iPad, but even so, I'm sure the internal DAC must be at least a bit better. I am impressed by Jerry's lastest technical advances, and I look forward to the finished product.

You (almost certainly) were hearing the internal DAC(s) but you were hearing the ADC too.

You (almost certainly) were hearing the internal DAC(s) but you were hearing the ADC too.

Well, yeah of course we were hearing the internal DAC, but not before the signal had already been converted D-A, then A-D beforehand. I suppose I should have said "the internal DAC with no previous D/A or A/D conversions must be at least a little bit better."

Weird foreshadowing. Though the probability was definitely in colin's favor.

Sorry I misunderstood. I see how you meant it.

Actually doing Apple DAC->ADC->DSP-DAC is a recipe for jitter but who knows how much. You're right that avoiding the apple DAC and the JH ADC is likely the way to go..

Edited by Dreadhead