JH Audio stuffs

atothex

I got to listen and play with the Jh16 and 3a setup. It's a little clunky at the moment because you need to control the volume and fr stuff with a computer. However, this is a very different headphone than the standalone Jh13. What I found coolest was the way you can dial in the bass exactly how you want it. And it doesn't sound like you're EQing (and I guess technically you really aren't but the more technically proficient will need to confirm). When you boost or lower the bass, whatever level you choose sounds like exactly the level the headphone was always meant to be. IOW, it doesn't sound like a JH 13 with bass boost (or bass reduction). It just sounds like it was designed to sound exactly that way no matter what the setting. Obviously, my fried brain is having a difficult time explaining this, but they sound damn good.

The imaging is superb, IMO. JHA is getting very close to the point where these don't sound like IEMs anymore.

Bass adjustment = EQ even if it's just adjusting the level of the bass drivers, it's EQ when you do it to a Subwoofer too. 3 cheap dacs never sounded so good :) With the DSP going on to do a 3 way cross over you could likely just do whatever you wanted to the signal.

I'm very interested. It would be awesome if Jerry gives you the option for different EQs using the computer, then I might just sell my GS-X/DAC3 and HD800 and be done.

Ok... Jeff, V, Mike (oh, wait, not Mike)... iPad Mike, anyone take pictures of the back of this thing or happen to know about a battery? Does it have one, how long does it last, does it come in silver (for Stretch) or black (for Dusty)? Oh, and what kind of S/PDIF connection?

**BRENT**

20 hour battery. Rest I don't know.

Edit: biscuits.

Talked I depth to Jerry and he mentioned it would be a 20 hour battery life. In terms of digital inputs it only talked coax SPIDF in which was a little bit of a bummer for me considering I wanted to connect to a MBP. He also mentioned there being a USB port behind the back plate but it is only to be used for programming the thing. Despite all that it was the most impressive rig at the show(along with LCD-2 in a close 2nd)

Talked I depth to Jerry and he mentioned it would be a 20 hour battery life. In terms of digital inputs it only talked coax SPIDF in which was a little bit of a bummer for me considering I wanted to connect to a MBP. He also mentioned there being a USB port behind the back plate but it is only to be used for programming the thing. Despite all that it was the most impressive rig at the show(along with LCD-2 in a close 2nd)

It's only $99 for a Nuforce uDAC USB > S/PDIF coax converter. That would put digital right into your JHA-3A.

I think something must not be right. It should be much, much better than just OK. Could it be something else in your audio chain? Also FWIW I felt like my jh13 needed a few hours of play to come up from the "this sounds fine but I don't see what the fuss is about" level to "ohhh, okay, now I see" level. You're past that by now, right?

If all else fails, I don't know what to say except maybe they're just not for you and should be returned. That would be a pity, but it could be that's the way it is.

That's about the level of isolation I have, with dry ears. With moist ears (lube or wet from the shower) isolation improves. But my experience with custom earpieces is that unless they are made of a slightly sticky/tacky substance or else are slightly oversized, outside sounds are muted only so much.

There is definitely a fit problem, yesterday I yawned and magically the left piece got in the sweet spot, the volume got higher and the right in comparison was kinda muted, it was definitely something I never experienced. The sound came effortlessly, it got this crazy micro detail and the bass was something else.. I could feel my entire body vibrate and the sound almost reached the back of my head, really impressive for an iem plus from a clip+.

I already emailed them about the fit, but it seems most people get the right fit after some new impressions so maybe that's what I'm going to do.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

I tried pressing both at same time inside that feeling was gone and the sound changed drastically, the treble was great and the headroom impressive I would say.
There's something wrong with this. If the sound gets better by pressing them in, if they sound muffled and congested normally, I would normally associate that with them not being in properly.

Try this: try putting them in further, and pulling them out some, and wiggling them around. Have you ever had IEM's before? I'm thinking you don't have them all the way in. Think about when you got the impressions -- they basically should be in exactly like that.

I listened to the new DSP combo and is isn't half bad but there is a clear coloration in the lower midbass quite similar in nature to the etch some of the Stax headphones have. I do like the idea but I doubt that those amps inside the 500$ box are close to TOTL. It does open up the idea for a serious 'stat IEM which would naturally need no DSP or crossover.

There's something wrong with this. If the sound gets better by pressing them in, if they sound muffled and congested normally, I would normally associate that with them not being in properly.

Try this: try putting them in further, and pulling them out some, and wiggling them around. Have you ever had IEM's before? I'm thinking you don't have them all the way in. Think about when you got the impressions -- they basically should be in exactly like that.

No its my first IEM but yes I have been trying every sort of move, it gets a bit better but any move with my mouse and they go back to the normal.

"...with my mouse"?

It sounds like he's pulling no punches in telling people that it's essentially a completely different IEM. I think if you want to use it without the JH3A, you should probably just get another pair.
I'm taking this back. Now that I understand what he's doing, I realize there's no reason he can't build an external passive crossover that is exactly the same as what's in the current JH13 &&/|| JH16.

"...with my mouse"?I'm taking this back. Now that I understand what he's doing, I realize there's no reason he can't build an external passive crossover that is exactly the same as what's in the current JH13 &&/|| JH16.

I disagree. He's using a acoustical bandpass in the crossover, that if implemened electrically would require insanely huge components for one, hence the reason to do it in DSP. A two way, yes very doable. Three way, I dunno.