JH Audio stuffs

atothex

JHAudio amp? JHAudio will be... | Facebook

at work... not sure figure it out for me.

edit: JH Audio JH-3A - Head-Fi.org Community

Too fucking hip -- that is actually pretty close to a pet fantasy project of mine -- implement a speaker with analog crossovers, but use digital to correct for the analog crossovers (phase correction). It's interesting that Jerry got it right -- in the article I read that inspired my thoughts on the subject, the guy tried to correct for the crossovers with one channel, but you really need to separate out each driver and do each channel separately.

Is that a bird, is that a plane? No, it's a JH-3a, and it leaps over the rest of my wishlist in a single bound.

Everyone please listen to it and post impressions, I'll be buying one, it's just a matter of when.

That product holds no appeal to me, even if it's sonically superior to straight up JH13's. I never want to be permanently tethered to a particular amp.

x2, especially for something I'm using in my portable setup. Also, assuming the pics on HF are close to final product, the casing is atrocious, IMO, for something that costs so much.

He stated that could be 50% better, this is a bold statement to make but you guys at Canjam will surely get this straight.

As for my jh16 I feel depressed every time I put them on after spending this much to have just an ok sound. I'm waiting for an answer from them on the refit possibility.

Quick question for those who have the jh customs, to have an idea how much noise a good fit should isolate,

with no music do you ear the TV on normal volume to actually be able to understand what they are saying and even slight finger snapping ?

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

I like the concept, very innovative. It's not really practical for portable use and needs to be refined aesthetically IMO, but it's nice to see a headphone company trying new things and not just rehashing old portable amp designs. I'll be interested to read people thoughts at CJ assuming they're sober enough to make the difference between this and iBuds. :P

^ Wow. Interesting...

Whale mentioned this earlier but gonna quote it inline for everyone:

When I asked him how much better it is, he said "a lot." He said he's not inclined to put numbers to such a question, but, if pressed, he'd say it's at least 50% better than anything he's done before, because DSP broke boundaries for him--allowed him to do things he couldn't do in the passive world. When asked what the biggest benefits were of maintaining perfect phase and time (since that topic comes up repeatedly in any discussion with him about the JH3A), Jerry responded "Imaging and soundstage--and layers. I'm not kidding, Jude, it'll blow your mind."

Considering this and considering you can't use another amp with it, I'm imagining it will sound as good if not better than the JH-13 when plugged into a nice desktop amp (i.e. Dynalo), and it will be portable.

Edited by LarsMarkelson

JH Audio: It's as simple as taking out the crossovers... or is it? | Facebook

It's as simple as taking out the crossovers... or is it?

Yesterday at 6:24pm

We at JHAudio know you guys are skeptical about modifying your JH13 or JH16 for use with the JH-3A Amp and we would like to shed a little light on what exactly is going into the mod so you can make an educated decision about it.

In short, the mod involved removing all of the crossovers from your JH13 or JH16. In reality, we are completely rebuilding your IEM. Just about the only part that will be original is your outer shell. We basically have to gut your earpiece to remove a number of components as well as the crossovers (so that the DSP amp can provide the crossovers for it, of course). The low drivers and sound tubes must be replaced because they are ruined once they are pulled out of the shell, which is necessary to complete the modification. Next, we need to add another socket to each earpiece (two per side) and remake/shape faceplates for each so that they fit properly with the new socket.

Once the physical changes are made the earpiece must itself be tuned, then it must be tuned with the amp, digitally. Along with changes to the earpiece itself, your cable is swapped out for a 8 line connector cable, which has four lines per side and connects to the two sockets in each piece. All of this is time and effort creates a brand new earpiece for you, perfectly matched to your amp.

Historically, we do not 'remake' our earpieces but, in this case, we think our loyal customers deserve the best and we want you to have the option of this amp with your current pieces.

We hope this answers your questions!

I think it is a serious concern that everything is done entirely digitally. If an analogue input needs to be ADCed, then DSPed, then DACed, then amped...... that is an awful lot of conversion going on, and a lot of faith put in the DAC they are using.

Digital covers have always struck me as an almost ideal application for the 8 channel sabre dac. I can see how this would be applied, but I can't really see the use for me. I wonder if they will offer a cable with the xover parts in the 1/8" plug, so you can still use it portably?

Digital covers have always struck me as an almost ideal application for the 8 channel sabre dac. I can see how this would be applied, but I can't really see the use for me.

As a home rig with a high end DAC I could absolutely see the benefit. But this does seem geared towards still being portable which seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Well, the proof will be in the listening......

As a home rig with a high end DAC I could absolutely see the benefit. But this does seem geared towards still being portable which seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Well, the proof will be in the listening......

I am guessing it's for monitoring where you want the spacial data preserved exactly. Also I'm more and more getting the impression that JH is a smart guy who likes to make things "right" and this is the best way to make the cross over right. I am definitely interested and have little doubt it works as designed. I would be very interested to see exactly what they use to model the ear for the tuning.

Hearing about this tuning that I'm thinking that they do this for the JH13 which means that their FR is standard and that's f'ing awesome.

I wonder if they will offer a cable with the xover parts in the 1/8" plug, so you can still use it portably?
It sounds like he's pulling no punches in telling people that it's essentially a completely different IEM. I think if you want to use it without the JH3A, you should probably just get another pair.

As for my jh16 I feel depressed every time I put them on after spending this much to have just an ok sound.
I think something must not be right. It should be much, much better than just OK. Could it be something else in your audio chain? Also FWIW I felt like my jh13 needed a few hours of play to come up from the "this sounds fine but I don't see what the fuss is about" level to "ohhh, okay, now I see" level. You're past that by now, right?

If all else fails, I don't know what to say except maybe they're just not for you and should be returned. That would be a pity, but it could be that's the way it is.

Quick question for those who have the jh customs, to have an idea how much noise a good fit should isolate, with no music do you ear the TV on normal volume to actually be able to understand what they are saying and even slight finger snapping ?
That's about the level of isolation I have, with dry ears. With moist ears (lube or wet from the shower) isolation improves. But my experience with custom earpieces is that unless they are made of a slightly sticky/tacky substance or else are slightly oversized, outside sounds are muted only so much.

So for those at CJ who have tried (or already bought after a single tune ;) ), coax or toslink? AC only or bat? If not ready for impressions, any technical info you want to toss out?

S/PDIF. Not sure about AC only or battery, personally, but here's a C&P of the info Jude got from JHA... no need in us clicking links for this stuff, is there?

THE JH-3A

3-Way Active DSP Crossover Amplifier for your JH13 and JH16

Your JH13 or JH16 perfectly tuned with the JH-3A amplifier

•10HZ to 23k Frequency Response (No thats not a typo, 23k)

• + or - .25dB Resolution for Predetermined Audio Signature

• Phase and Time Correct

• Unsurpassed Detail, Soundstage, Accuracy

• Available in Midnight Black or Rust

EXISTING CUSTOMERS

JH-3A Amplifier

w/ JH13/16 Modification | $1099 & free ground shipping

NEW CUSTOMERS

JH-3A Amplifier w/ JH13 | $1698

JH-3A Amplifier w/ JH16 | $1748

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

•2-Channel Anaog Input or SPDIF 24/192 Digital

•6-Channel Amplified Analog Output (>100mA per channel)

•3-Way Active Crossover

•Digitally Controlled Volume Level

•Digitally Controlled Variable Bass Output - 0dB to + 12dB Boost

•32-bit DSP Resolution

•Sample Frequency up to 192KHz

•72-bit Accumulators

•300,000,000 MAC/S

**BRENT**