Ye Macce Threade

It's not just about dynamic range, it's about resolution.

Fuckers.

Bit depth == Dynamic Range == Resolution*

Sampling Rate == (2 * ) Frequency Response (see Nyquist )

So unless you are a bat, higher sampling rates are not necessarily MOAR Betterer **

* Subject to SNR if you insist

** Filering and aliasing artifacts aside

Edited by Grahame

Bit depth == Dynamic Range == Resolution*

Sampling Rate == (2 * ) Frequency Response (see Nyquist )

So unless you are a bat, higher sampling rates are not necessarily MOAR Betterer **

* Subject to SNR if you insist

** Filering and aliasing artifacts aside

No, incorrect, you're wrong, etc.

Dynamic range != resolution.

Dynamic range is the difference between the loudest and the softest, whereas resolution is the amount of detail to the signal -- I.E. what will let you know whether or not you're listening to a triangle wave or a square-wave signal being run through an LCR circuit that's really close to being critically damped.

And why are you even bringing up sampling rate/frequency response?

The fact that all of you guys keep harping on the same wrong strawman argument tells me that you're just regurgitating, and not even trying to understand my point, much less paying attention at all.

FAIL.

So -- to put it simply -- go fuck yourselves, all of you.

(wanders off, muttering to himself something about 'retards')

:nate:

Edited by Dusty Chalk

No, incorrect, you're wrong, etc.

Dynamic range != resolution.

Dynamic range is the difference between the loudest and the softest, whereas resolution is the amount of detail to the signal -- I.E. what will let you know whether or not you're listening to a triangle wave or a square-wave signal being run through an LCR circuit that's really close to being critically damped.

And why are you even bringing up sampling rate/frequency response?

The fact that all of you guys keep harping on the same wrong strawman argument tells me that you're just regurgitating, and not even trying to understand my point, much less paying attention at all.

FAIL.

So -- to put it simply -- go fuck yourselves, all of you.

(wanders off, muttering to himself something about 'retards')

:nate:

resolution is limited by dynamic range.

Dynamic range == Loudest to silence == Max Value - 0 == Max value == f (Bit depth).

Resolution == smallest difference == Value of LSB -0 == LSB value == f (Bit depth).

So Dynamic Range and resolution are both functions of bit depth.

Hence Dynamic range implies resolution ( as a bit depth implies dynamic range).

Both are limited by SNR aka noise floor.

FR was mentioned to counter the unqualified , bigger numbers are better, position.

Does that work for you? :)

so, what sort of problems will I run into putting both of my iphones on my new mac? If I use separate users for each, will things play nicely? Any advice?

We have multiple iPhones all on one iTunes account and syncing with one computer with no problem, but we did give each of the phones their own name.

30 bit?!?!? Huzzah. I think the Macbook Pro just bumped up to the top of my laptop short list. (Not for any reason other than MOAR BITSES.)

Actually, that's a typo - it's 32-bit output. I'm tried it on my Parasound (not sure how that's possible since it's a 20-bit DAC chip, but whatever). It played wonderful music... that sounded exactly the same as 16-bit since it was from a CD :palm:

Well It's happened, I just got a mac mini.

Now it'll be question time. I looked at various adapters but couldn't find one that has a mini output for video and sound, does one exist? Failing that, one that outputs component video. Also, any clue how I can transfer what's on my ipod to the mini? I can't seem to find a plain old transfer function from in itunes... which I still dislike.

I haven't tried iRip ($20 iPod-to-Mac) myself, but another program I have from the same folks has been a great performer, one of those no-muss no-fuss simply-does-what-it-says-on-the-tin products that's easy to like. So I'd suggest giving iRip a try. There's some kind of free trial period too.

i got mine used and it was pretty sluggish, especially running fusion and windows 7 until i slapped in 2 gigs of ram much better now I still need to figure out the least painful way to stuff a 500gb disk in there the standard 80 is a bit crimping

i got mine used and it was pretty sluggish, especially running fusion and windows 7 until i slapped in 2 gigs of ram much better now I still need to figure out the least painful way to stuff a 500gb disk in there the standard 80 is a bit crimping

It's fairly straight forward. Ifixit.com has the steps.

Swapped the 250 GB drive for a WD 500 GB in the MBP. Quick and easy and now more room for music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. I have a Jan 2009 unibody 15" Macbook Pro, and I would like to do the same upgrade from my 250gb to a 500gb. If yours uses the same HD, can you please tell me what model number drive you got, from where and est price, and where you got the instructions? I have to keep removing music and movies to make room for new stuff, shuttling it off to an external drive as backup.

I ended up with a Seagate 500 GB 7200 rpm drive. It's running great but I have been reading a lot about the advanced power management on many aftermarket drives (APM) causing problems with Mac OSX, including the WD scorpio and Seagate Momentus that I have. They say it's because apple uses it's own firmware for drives that ship with Macs, but these aftermarket drives don't have that firmware available.

I thought it might help others if I posted what I learned and how to fix it. There is a message by Eugene Khoo on the Apple forums from 2/10/10 that contains the fix: Apple - Support - Discussions - Hard drive click + beep ...

The problem isn't seen by everyone, but is basically represented by having the drive park itself prematurely and then having to restart too often, which could increase the load_cycle_count and cause the drive to fail more quickly. (I read something about 600,000 cycles allowed and some people would hit that in only 2 years or less). Basically, if your new hard drive is often clicking and beeping as it parks the heads and starts up again, or if you often get the spinning beach-ball as you wait for your new hard drive to spin up again, then you likely have the APM problem.

In my research I found there is a utility called HDAPM which you can install that will prevent the drive from doing this. This only works for internal drives, and not the external drives that are often going to sleep to quickly and then slowing everything down as it spins up again. I installed it anyway, just in case, because so many people were complaining about the issue. Now I just need to find an easy to install utility that I can monitor the load_cycle_count (there is one I found that requires Xcode and installing via terminal).

I hope this helps anyone who upgrades their Mac's hard disk and runs into this issue. It seems pretty common from looking at the reviews at online stores for several hard drives.