Ye Macce Threade

Took mbp to the apple store for a dead video card. Genius was supposed to charge me for the repair, but found a program to cover it under, so it'll be fixed free.

When did you get a macbook pro? Glad to hear the problem was resolved, the case on my macbook is cracked and I need to make an appointment to get it fixed but the closest apple store is 45min. away and I don't go anywhere near it on a regular basis.

When did you get a macbook pro? Glad to hear the problem was resolved, the case on my macbook is cracked and I need to make an appointment to get it fixed but the closest apple store is 45min. away and I don't go anywhere near it on a regular basis.

If you went to see Imogen you could kill two birds with one Macbook.

Shorly, I'm powering down my trust Macintop and taking in to the Genius Bar, to have the following issues resolved:

Firewire port does not work, plastic pins are missing

Trackpad doesn't work, it won't "unclick"

keyboard stops working randomly, often after laptop has been asleep

cooling fan runs (nearly) constantly

HDD has become noisy recently

I imagine I'll be without it for over a week. That means I'll be stuck with crappy Dell running XP. :kitty:

Shorly, I'm powering down my trust Macintop and taking in to the Genius Bar, to have the following issues resolved:

Firewire port does not work, plastic pins are missing

Trackpad doesn't work, it won't "unclick"

keyboard stops working randomly, often after laptop has been asleep

cooling fan runs (nearly) constantly

HDD has become noisy recently

Minus the firewire bit, that's exactly what happened to my last one. Dan fixed the trackpad, but then the rest got worse. I just ended up getting a new one. The one before that got in even worse shape, and I ended up frying the motherboard, or that's what I was told. I'm hoping this one will at least last me a three years. I seem to kill macbook pros in a about one to two years.

I don't know. The two I had before this one were all silver. This one is silver with black keys. That's all I know.

If anyone has use for a dead, 12" mbp (supposedly a fried motherboard, but what do those guys know), let me know. It's just hanging out at my house with other useless things I have for no reason.

Your Macbook luck does not appear to be as good as your phone, luck, boomana. You said the keyboard issue kept getting worse? The Genius Bar tech said that he thought it was a software issue, but I have my doubts. I can only fix it via a complete powercycle (off and back on) and not a reboot.

One other issue I forgot to mention is that the camera on the lappy has random, but infrequent, issues at startup. Sometimes when I power up the lappy, the camera light comes on almost immediately, and the camera itself won't work with apps like Photo Booth. Since I never use the camera, it was a minor issue for me. The Genius guy said it might be a symptom of a larger problem.

I'm supposed to get a call from an Apple repair tech in the next day or so. They're going to dell me what the (physical) damage is, and how long it will take to fix it. Hopefully it will cost me $0, as I have over a year of AppleCare left.

In the interim, I'm stuck on this ca. 2001 Pentium IV Dell running XP. It is ...worse than I remembered. When you don't run a Windows box for a long time and power it up, there's approximately 847 things that want to update, and Windows is of course a complete nagging bitch about it. I love being forced to reboot six times before I can rung FFX to check my sodding email. :rant: I had to talk myself out of impulse buying a Mac Mini when I was in the Apple store and now I'm kind of wishing I did.

Methinks you should splurge for the cheese grater, however.

Srsly. As soon as Apple refreshes the grater, I am SO buying one. I have an .edu discount which will knock $300 or so off. It's still going to cost me enough to make even audiophiles blink (with monitor think KGBHSE levels.) Still, I am a photographer. Scanning film and editing photos on a (early 2008) Macbook is a unique form of hell.

I don't know. The two I had before this one were all silver. This one is silver with black keys. That's all I know.

If anyone has use for a dead, 12" mbp (supposedly a fried motherboard, but what do those guys know), let me know. It's just hanging out at my house with other useless things I have for no reason.

how much did the apple guys ask to fix it? it might not be THAT much