Passive volume control

Hopstretch

Due to a change in the configuration of my system, I'm looking at getting a passive volume control/preamp for the odd occasions when I want to listen to my monitors rather than my headphones.

Does anyone have any experience with the NHT ones? Or any thoughts on whether it's worth the extra tenner (and cable costs) to go balanced all the way through my system? (They go for far less than MSRP online. The Goldpoints look nice but are way too spendy.)

The HP4 converts balanced input to SE, but the Quads have XLR ins and -- given it's a desktop system -- there's a lot of RF interference about. All cable lengths will be pretty short once it's properly set up.

Have had good experience with the Luminous Audio Axiom passives, both SE and Balanced.

Luminous Audio Technology - Axiom Passive Preamp

Currently running a SPL Volume2 balanced betwixt CDP and amp, but it is not passive.

Description: Sound Performance Lab

Of course either of these choices takes away your diy joy.

<edit> just took a look at the NHT links - appear to be good choices, too. I'd go the extra for balanced. Can use that SE if needed, and have balanced for future needs at little cost. </edit>

Edited by agile_one

Ta Monkey man. I did look at their Nano, but didn't want to have to fart around with TRS outputs.

Nano_Patch_hires_1-8a131f1e46d58bb4bb2c212b6fd7d49d.jpg

Nano_Patch_hires_2-c4dbcdf1fe8060b1bb7dd27dc93f3e2a.jpg

They (SM Pro Audio) also have the iNano http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/monitor-controller/inano-passiver-lautstaerke-controller.html which has 1/8 input and output in addition to the TRS jacks. I had one on order but OneCall kept dicking me around with the backorder so I cancelled it. I then found the NHT Passive Volume Control from ListenUp here in Colorado for $69. It works great and I have noticed no change in SQ.

I say group buy with you and Nate doing the building. Thanks!

I am thinking I dont like this idea. How about you and Nate? :asshat:

I will probably pick one up when I get around to building myself a KGSS or something, so if you can wait a year or so, I will let you know how they are.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I originally bought the NHT PVC Pro but it didn't work for me as it wouldn't attenuate all the way down in the the right channel. So it went back for a refund and one of these arrived today.

sa2_in3.jpg

It appears to do the job well and gives me the flexibility of a second input for the speakers -- just in case something like, say, an analog source were to show up one of these days. :)