The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

1 minute ago, swampsong said:

Still though if this guy ripped some users off and is now selling those on head-fi maybe i should ask him about it? he has been very forthcoming... i liked to see what his response it... its weird and i think other users at headfi should know... he sold a few more sets after me and is asking for others to do a board run with too...

First, it would be hard to prove (and to what end, now, 4 years later). Second, you would not have known, so you shouldn't have any guilt on your part. 

I corresponded with him back in 2015 about the Lil Knight T2 boards he was selling and he indicated that "Last time I heard from him was 8-9 months. At that time, he was in hospital, probably in a coma. He was a big help to me back then, not sure what happening until now." Maybe it is true. If so, prior to going into a coma Lil Knight gave this guy all his partially completed amp builds, audio parts, T2 boards and chassis parts to sell on Head-fi...

What the fuck. Thanks Kevin. 

I'm paying trubrew back with interest, I sourced Les Barwick his entire T2 to NZ, bag by bag. I've done nothing but decent things for people. It was 8 years ago. ..And I was barely 17. And it was $500 I didn't have at the time. And I sold the ca 2300 of assembled parts to you for $950.  So I wasn't perfect. I'M not perfect.

I'm paying TruBrew BACK. And I didn't run off with cash (like Tran and egregiously sell people 5500$ T2 kits to boot, as Swampsong did share. I want to again say thank you for buying the parts at the time by the way.

For fuck sakes. Here we have gone again. God damned some things never get too old!

For the love of god please move past it. I shouldn't be the whipping boy today. 

I did refund Sridhar all his money. I just could not pay Trubrew back for a prepaid Comission/Ordnance, a downpayment in good faith at that time in my life. I SIMPLY did NOT have the money at that time. What more is there to understand?

5500 was the price with everything including my mouser order, the sockets, etc... and 350 in shipping and about another 300 in paypal fees, only thing i really need is the RK50 and a few things from mouser i couldn't' find just yet, but i'm going to research and ask for help as i get to those...

he charged me 1295 for the board and sand set, 1800 for the chassis, 350 for the umbilical, and then he had the stax sockets, power button and led for like another $100 i think...

Maybe if i build a second one i won't waste so much money the next time but that sounds like i might be crazy and getting ahead of myself, something i often do :):)

I didn't think anybody was going to have any of these anytime soon, so went ahead and purchased, but i sounds like i could have found the sand if i was patient, and GeorgeP almost has enough users for a new chassis and board set... but oh well.. i'm having fun and right now in my life that is a huge deal :):)

1 hour ago, brazilnut79 said:

What the fuck. Thanks Kevin. 

I'm paying trubrew back with interest, I sourced Les Barwick his entire T2 to NZ, bag by bag. I've done nothing but decent things for people. It was 8 years ago. ..And I was barely 17. And it was $500 I didn't have at the time. And I sold the ca 2300 of assembled parts to you for $950.  So I wasn't perfect. I'M not perfect.

I'm paying TruBrew BACK. And I didn't run off with cash (like Tran and egregiously sell people 5500$ T2 kits to boot, as Swampsong did share. I want to again say thank you for buying the parts at the time by the way.

For fuck sakes. Here we have gone again. God damned some things never get too old!

For the love of god please move past it. I shouldn't be the whipping boy today. 

Ahh the assembled parts which I got the pleasure of trying to salvage.  Most of it was garbage so not the best deal in the world...  :palm:

1 hour ago, G600 said:

You could extend soldering pleasure by making your own volume control instead of RK50.

For example a Seiden 32025 with the matching set of resistor for 10K http://www.goldpt.com/r_series.html

You could make 3 for the K50's price.

Or you can build the relay-based, full-balanced, true ladder attenuator that Kevin designed and there was a board-run for it a few months ago so there may still be PCBs available for it.

13 minutes ago, mwl168 said:

Or you can build the relay-based, full-balanced, true ladder attenuator that Kevin designed and there was a board-run for it a few months ago so there may still be PCBs available for it.

Have a couple of these I've been meaning to get to. Wish I got in on the parts group buy as I just can't get motivated now.

51 minutes ago, mwl168 said:

Does any of the boards available? i would pick one up, and is there a thread for it? or a BOM?

sounds interesting, i'm still going to get an RK50 but i like options... and i might end up with two chassis sets soon...

11 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

I don't know who that is, but the angle brackets are nowhere in any of those pictures. Almost impossible to build without the angle brackets.

and brazilnut is aka hennyo aka dude5OO aka becky aka rebecca aka... so I would not put much value in what he says.

Just in case, dude_500 (https://www.head-fi.org/members/dude_500.99969/) <> dude500.

FYI he does know Tran, said he picked up the boards from him many years ago, and the chassis was inspired by his design?, said he was in a coma, didn't know his current situation now, and that he lived near him... I said well if you talk to him i know there are some guys on headcase that would love a refund...  small world, well not that small when it comes to DIY electrostatic amps it seems..

oh yea he said GeorgeP does great work too :)

Edited by swampsong

Just out of curiosity, how much can a set of T2 pcb cost?

With all due respect, $ 1295 seems to me an excessive price for a set of plates and the corresponding sand.

5 minutes ago, nopants said:

the real question is why does he keep making up new aliases to conduct business 

What is clear is that despite everything there are always people willing to take risks and buy their things.

23 minutes ago, jose said:

Just out of curiosity, how much can a set of T2 pcb cost?

With all due respect, $ 1295 seems to me an excessive price for a set of plates and the corresponding sand.

What is clear is that despite everything there are always people willing to take risks and buy their things.

Yes i probably shouldn't have purchased from him, but that was before i knew everything that i know now...

Edited by swampsong

Ouch well maybe if i build a second one it won't be such a loss, and I won't be going to someone that scammed a bunch... Brazilnut is pretty sure the guy i'm talking to is really Tran... I guess he has told him different stories in the past... Lesson learned, i should have posted on here before ordering on headfi, i guess i didn't expect you all to be so helpful about a 10 year old project, really appreciate it... Now If only my work life would slow down so i can focus on whats really important :):)