Apple Tablet

Great article! I'm very interested to see what this device will be like. I am still using an old Palm TX for scheduling, contacts, notes, and medical programs. Its screen is getting old and less responsive, and the battery starting to die, but I don't want to buy an expensive new Palm TX or pay $299 to get it fixed since it is a dying (or already dead) OS. I lust after an iTouch, but I MUST be able to use a physical keyboard because I routinely enter quick sentences here and there as I update patient info while I'm on the phone or after a patient encounter (I touch type very quickly, but thumb type horribly). I also work at two offices, and sometimes enter info from home or on the road, so need it to be very portable. I still write paper notes in the office, but in the future will likely switch to electronic health records kept in the cloud. I have a colleague who as of a year ago still carried around a Newton, he loved it so much! Most of the med students carry an iPhone/iTouch, but they don't need to type on a keyboard like I do. Nothing that I know of quite fits the bill, but I am hoping this will!

I wouldn't hold your breath for a physical keyboard on the device itself. I do hope that you will be able to use a physical keyboard either wirelessly via Bluetooth or wired via a dock of some kind. But it wouldn't surprise me if even that wasn't an option.

Even though my hopes are low, I'd really hope for a modified OS X rather than something based on the iPhone OS. I love to have a certain feel of control with my computers and I think OS X is the perfect blend of control, simplicity and real-world usability. I wouldn't really care for a full-size iPhone. (I say this now, watch me with my tablet in two months :P)

If they price it for $1,000 I'd be worried it could fail like Windows Tablet PC where the tablets were more expensive than a full laptop with the same performance. At $1,000 many people would take a $999 white Macbook instead. I'd like to see a $699 price point, or less, but $799 may not be unreasonable unless it's not much more useful than an over sized Touch.