Apple Tablet

Digging the Japanese comments the last two days.

"Now the time has come for us to hold an iPhone in the right (hand) and iPad in the left -- just like the samurai with two swords!" Softbank president Masayoshi Son said at an in-store presentation.

iPad-mania as thousands queue for global roll-out | Raw Story

iPad went on sale outside the USA today. My wife was at London's Regent Street store all day and says the lines continued all day long. Amazing. I will be surprised if they haven't passed two million by the time Jobs gives his WWDC speech.

She's irritated she managed somehow to miss seeing Stephen Fry, who showed up to stand in line and buy another one even though he'd already gotten one or two on USA launch day. But she did see The World's Tallest Married Couple, there to promote the Guinness Book of Records app. Which I thought was a strange thing for them to do, but it made all the papers so clearly Guinness understands publicity better than I do.

I got to try an iPad today at the Apple-authorized retailer inside my university. I was very surprised they already had some in stock, I thought you would only be able to buy them at the Apple store on release date. There were only 3-4 other people interested to try it, so I got sufficient time to play with the different apps. It's a very nice gadget, I was impressed by its build quality and the superb screen, but at the same time it doesn't thrill me like many Apple products did in the past. I can't help but feel it's just an oversized iPod Touch, a toy basically. Maybe after owning one for some time I'd change my mind, but I have a hard time figuring out where an iPad fits between a laptop and a smartphone in terms of real-life use.

I can't help but feel it's just an oversized iPod Touch, a toy basically. Maybe after owning one for some time I'd change my mind, but I have a hard time figuring out where an iPad fits between a laptop and a smartphone in terms of real-life use.

I feel the same way - trying to see where/why it would replace my laptop for any reason other than convenience and novelty.

But I do have to plead ignorance until I have properly tried one, which I would very much like to do......

I picked up a 16 gb Wi-Fi iPad yesterday. I got it basically to use as the remote for my PS Audio PWD/Bridge music system. Since the Bridge won't be out for a month or two I decided to use it as a remote for my Exemplar Music Server (that currently uses a Nokia N810 running VNC Viewer), so I paid $10 for the VNC app and of course it doesn't work. Why do I get the feeling that this thing is going to be a money pit?

otherwise it's a cool toy.

I picked up a 16 gb Wi-Fi iPad yesterday. I got it basically to use as the remote for my PS Audio PWD/Bridge music system. Since the Bridge won't be out for a month or two I decided to use it as a remote for my Exemplar Music Server (that currently uses a Nokia N810 running VNC Viewer), so I paid $10 for the VNC app and of course it doesn't work. Why do I get the feeling that this thing is going to be a money pit?

otherwise it's a cool toy.

I got to try an iPad today at the Apple-authorized retailer inside my university. I was very surprised they already had some in stock, I thought you would only be able to buy them at the Apple store on release date. There were only 3-4 other people interested to try it, so I got sufficient time to play with the different apps. It's a very nice gadget, I was impressed by its build quality and the superb screen, but at the same time it doesn't thrill me like many Apple products did in the past. I can't help but feel it's just an oversized iPod Touch, a toy basically. Maybe after owning one for some time I'd change my mind, but I have a hard time figuring out where an iPad fits between a laptop and a smartphone in terms of real-life use.

I feel the same way - trying to see where/why it would replace my laptop for any reason other than convenience and novelty.

But I do have to plead ignorance until I have properly tried one, which I would very much like to do......

Doubt it's for everyone, but as the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, coincidently today - I've Changed My Mind About The iPad

Doubt it's for everyone, but as the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, coincidently today - I've Changed My Mind About The iPad

Yeah, Anandtech's review said very similar things with respect to email and casual tasks being so enjoyable, which is why I'm still so keen to try it - and I'm sure I would absolutely love it.

I guess I just don't think I could ever justify the expense for that convenience. The money could buy at least two levels of CPU upgrade and a fair chunk of RAM in a new laptop, which translates to a lot time saving for Matlab and other intensive work tasks. Priorities suck :(