Apple Tablet

What the? I just bought the iPad today without knowing the pricing changes.

I was going to cancel the data plan for the iphone and just use wi-fi with it and use iPad for when there is no wi-fi. However, I am now feeling the strong need to grandfather both in for the never-to-return UNlimited Data plan..

Does anyone know whether grand-fathering in now will continue when you upgrade to next-generation iPhone or iPad?

Since the iPad does not require a contract I wouldn't feel very certain about it one way or the other, that is to say that they may indefinitely grandfather the early adopters or decide that at some point they simply won't offer an unlimited plan.

With the phone if you are out of contract and decide to upgrade you would probably have to do so by paying the unsubsidized phone price to keep from re-upping your contract which would result in having to choose from currently available plans. At least that is my understand of it and the experience that I have had upgrading phones over the years.

What I really see is AT&T proving me with a) powerful motivation never to be under contract to them and B) hope that Apple will see the light and open up their phone to other carriers in the US. This has also all but killed any thoughts I had of buying a 4G iPhone on AT&T.

With the phone if you are out of contract and decide to upgrade you would probably have to do so by paying the unsubsidized phone price to keep from re-upping your contract which would result in having to choose from currently available plans.

I guess it's that unsubsidized phone price thing that Bl***

"What about iPhone customers who want to upgrade equipment? Surprisingly enough, there's good news there. You can keep your existing unlimited iPhone plan and migrate it to new equipment to upgrade or replace your handset, and even can renew your contract with that plan."

I guess it's that unsubsidized phone price thing that Bl***

"What about iPhone customers who want to upgrade equipment? Surprisingly enough, there's good news there. You can keep your existing unlimited iPhone plan and migrate it to new equipment to upgrade or replace your handset, and even can renew your contract with that plan."

Hmmmm, if they're willing to let you roll the unlimited plan even after upgrading the phone via normal channels it smells even more like a last gasp for customers prior to Apple's little event next week.

My 3G iPad just reported 1196 Kbps when I checked with speedtest a moment ago. (13,155 Kbps with Comcast cable)

*sigh* I ought to switch to Comcast. But I've heard such nightmares about their customer service around here. Also have been told they'll suddenly and randomly increase their prices.