Apple Tablet

I can't help but feel it's just an oversized iPod Touch, a toy basically. Maybe after owning one for some time I'd change my mind, but I have a hard time figuring out where an iPad fits between a laptop and a smartphone in terms of real-life use.

I feel the same way - trying to see where/why it would replace my laptop for any reason other than convenience and novelty.

But I do have to plead ignorance until I have properly tried one, which I would very much like to do......

For me, the biggest truly useful advantages are:

Use as a PDA. It replaces my old Palm, and I know your phone does this, but I like to keep my business Calendar and contacts separate from my personal data. Also this info is automatically synced wirelessly to the cloud or any computer I choose, so my secretary has up to date info. And I have up to date info from my wife. I use this function several times a day, every day.

Instant on and 10 hour battery life are huge for me. You'd have to live with this to appreciate it. I really appreciate it.

Size/weight. I ride my bike to work most of the time, and let me tell you, throwing this in my backback is not even noticeable, whereas my laptop flares up my old back injury, and I need an extra pannier bag just for the laptop.

Worth the price? Depends. I'd like to see lower price options for the more casual user. That will probably come with time. i fully understand that many would spend the money elsewhere for now. For me, well worth the price. A new Palm TX is $299, repairing my old one is $249, and that is for a dead platform! A no brainer in my case.

The way I look at is that I no longer need to spend the premium bucks on a laptop. I can certainly set up a much more powerful desktop to run MATLAB and SAS and then use my iPad to remote into it from just about anywhere. I can also do that for as many machines as I want. That is slightly different approach to mobile computing, but one that I have found particularly liberating.

You're always at the mercy of the programmer when zooming in on text. There's actually quite a bit of technology to fonts, but if zooming isn't incorporating any of them, then you're screwed. The good news is, it may get fixed with one of the updates. Which is not just a possibility, but a likelihood with a 'new' technology like the iPad. I would still complain about it (squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc.).

Yes, the issue occurs mostly with portrait. However, autocorrect is still blurry in landscape--though better.

I cannot make the text blurry at any zoom. The only time I have seen blurry text was on the Zinio app when zooming. That was fixed on an update.

I already did that, I have it on g only. I use Wpa security, no crazy Mac filtering, no 40mhz mode, nothing on my router setup is out of the ordinary. I think I just need to wait until apple fixes it with the next software update.

How is your signal strength? Just for kicks, have you tried b only?

Pretty good. Router on lower level, and when directly above on upper level through most walls it stays at 3 bars with occasional 2. On lower level it is on 3 bars almost the whole time. I have read of some users changing to b or a only as g can get a lot of interference from various household appliances. Ultimately I may just upgrade to a dual band n router, use the n for the iPad, g for everything else, and take advantage of external hard drive support like the airport extreme.

Ugh. I wonder if I need to have a "genius" look at it. I'll show you guys at CJ.

I mean I can hear what your saying, the text does appear to be somewhat fuzzy on portrait all the way zoomed out, at

Least oN most websites I am on. I think that article posted by blessing basically sums It up, it appears to be a font issue.

Oh and at least the genius I spoke with today was pretty useless. I actually did one of those iPad tours last week at the apple store and that was pretty useless as well.

I am on b only on two different wifi setups; I have older equipment, that's the only reason. I've had no problems at all on either one. But I also spent a lot of time a year ago increasing signal strength throughout the house and reducing interference, because I was switching over to T Mobile UMA at home and the office (wifi phone calling), and experiencing a lot of dropped calls, as well as problems connecting on my laptop at times, and also with my Squeezebox. I did a site survey and picked a channel that was far from the several other signals I picked up. I replaced my wireless landline phone with a DECT system. I added a signal booster at the far end of the house. After that, I had almost no connection problems, and it probably cleared the way for the iPad now!

Not suggesting you do all that, but it may be an easy thing to try b only, and/or pick a different channel until you decide on new equipment.

Have you tried a nice short one word SSID name?

Funny you say that...after having issues with it not connecting, I changed the SSID Name of it from linksys-g to linksys and it did come back on fortunately. I haven't checked it today if the wifi is still going in and out. The SSID now matches the host and domain name under the router options so maybe that had something to do with it.