Beyer T1

Hopstretch

At times I felt like it was like a slightly better HD600, but at times the classic bass reflex Beyer sound killed that for me. The treble amount overall is actually slightly under flat but I do hear a bit of a peak. The HD800 really is a finicky beast - out of the Luxman P1u it was pretty damn bright and thin but sounded the best I heard them out of Justin's GS-1. And I did hear them out of the Apex Peak Top Zenith.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miguel, I can't really answer that since I wasn't familiar with either headphone I tried with it, and I have no idea what source was being used. I didn't like the T1 with it, but I was underwhelmed by the T1 with every rig I tried, and I did like the Audeze, though I only got to listen to that combo for maybe one minute, enough to make me go downstairs and really give them a try.

At times I felt like it was like a slightly better HD600, but at times the classic bass reflex Beyer sound killed that for me. The treble amount overall is actually slightly under flat but I do hear a bit of a peak. The HD800 really is a finicky beast - out of the Luxman P1u it was pretty damn bright and thin but sounded the best I heard them out of Justin's GS-1. And I did hear them out of the Apex Peak Top Zenith.

I agree the HD800 are finicky about amp pairing, but less so with a better cable. The improvements with cables are usually very small with most headphones like my HD600, but my HD800 responded nicely to my Locus-Design "Hyperion" copper cable. The HD800 sounded warm and full with the loaner Luxman P-1u from TTVJ recently, and nothing like the "bright and thin" that you described. I still have amps around the house that make the HD800 sound thinner and brighter, but with the stock cable those amps were unlistenable and now they are tolerable. With my WA6 or ZDT it was never a problem.

They sound like Denons done properly. Perhaps not overtly impressive. Not fond of the same placement sensitivity as with the K70x, O2 etc, although perhaps not to the crazy level of the Qualias.

I would imagine they'd be no good for those who judge their phones by how much it can, metaphorically speaking, smash a glass bottle over their heads. Even averaging out the 6moons-style BS prose, everything I read about the HD800 strikes me as Qualia Mk II - so nein danke right now.

I might hang onto these. It's a change over the HD650, which it seems I don't think will be retiring either. I do have a suspicion that the HD650 might outlast the T1, if only for biomechanical reasons, but I'll see after a few months.

Thanks Vicky, I may have an Isabella by the Fort Myers Meet on July 24 so you and all should be able to hear what it can or can't do. Hope you and others can make it.

I really liked the HD800 out of the Luxman P1, they sound superb together (Alex's rig).

Thanks Vicky, I may have an Isabella by the Fort Myers Meet on July 24 so you and all should be able to hear what it can or can't do. Hope you and others can make it.

I really liked the HD800 out of the Luxman P1, they sound superb together (Alex's rig).

ft myers meet july 24? interesting. I'll have to check my schedule. =)

Was there vomit? I didn't hear any vomit stories, just "cute drunk" and "passed out" stories. And +1 moar shot stories.

No vomit during the partying that I'm aware of.

I threw up a good bit of water when trying to rehydrate during my Saturday hangover, but I don't know if that counts.

(interest just goes up a notch) -- and without the quality control issues? That might be worth the sale price.

Well, is it surprising re the Denons. The 'Denon done right' wasn't particularly a compliment, in case it seemed that way. To me, the genesis of their high-end range reeks to me of calculated opportunism. And I'm thankful that I didn't take too much of a hit on either of these when I sold them on.

As for the T1, if I were being honest with myself no headphone over the HD650 has been worth it in a rational sense, so no I don't think strictly speaking they're worth the sale price if you're going by the yardstick of the DT's. The Qualias for example, although I'd posit that they were unsuccessful as headphones, were ironically kind of worth it to me in the sense of being functional industrial art. A similar, but to a much weaker level, feeling also extends to the HE/V90 in terms of a sense of theatre.

The T1 isn't any of those, it's just a boring ol' headphone. Especially as contrary to my 'out of my arse' conjecture before about the parts on the T1 (which really did turn out to be totally arsy conjecture), in terms of product engineering this is a DTxxx - I really do expect them to put in more effort than is to be found on the T1. Yes it feels more premium than your garden DT, but it's a riced-up premium instead of a ground-up premium, which you would expect on something of this stature given the main competition... especially as Beyer biomechanics isn't exactly the pinnacle of achievability. So it has to deliver sonically since it doesn't have a 'novelty of the new' about it.

And the T1's are far from perfect even at this level of early listen: Apart from various minor issues I can pick with it, the T1 has a major placement-related treble problem, and physically apart from the riced DT aspect, I also dislike the Quasi-bullshit-aftermarket-grade cable, which is partly responsible for pulling-down-on-head weight being in O2/Orpheus territory (or ~100g in excess of a typical DT), but without a redesign of the headband to account for the additional weight. But on balance, I think they're more deserving of a high-end moniker than AH-D5/7000... which are basically high-end Bose in terms of the flavour, and as such not surprising that some prefer the Denons over the T1.

But I do like the overall flavour of the sound as an all-purpose phone. It could certainly pack less potential to be sibilant but I find the extension is excellent, as is soundstaging from a practical point of view. In terms of the lack of a sonic USP, what I said about the bottle over the head applies - It's not hugely impressive on first listen, but it does have legs IMO. However I'm not sure I'd actively recommend the T1 for all sorts of reasons, some of which are above. I believe it's somewhat flawed from a design & engineering perspective and that may result in the T1 not being a keeper for me.

I agree the HD800 are finicky about amp pairing, but less so with a better cable. The improvements with cables are usually very small with most headphones like my HD600, but my HD800 responded nicely to my Locus-Design "Hyperion" copper cable. The HD800 sounded warm and full with the loaner Luxman P-1u from TTVJ recently, and nothing like the "bright and thin" that you described. I still have amps around the house that make the HD800 sound thinner and brighter, but with the stock cable those amps were unlistenable and now they are tolerable. With my WA6 or ZDT it was never a problem.

Y'know, it's funny but the Qualia comparison rings true again. Crappy cables with quasi-semiconductor effects from materials or construction, unintentional or otherwise, can 'enhance' phones which sounds like this by (among other things) changing the audible treble by rounding it out. But due to the abilities of the phone itself, you may not even notice there is anything wrong - especially if you don't know what to look out for. It was a torrent of excuses from a Head-Fi sponsor that caused me to buy test gear and very sharp knives to figure out what I was actually getting when I invested (since I was cutting them up, not so much of an investment) in these extravagantly techflexed articles.

Was there vomit? I didn't hear any vomit stories, just "cute drunk" and "passed out" stories. And +1 moar shot stories.

No vomiting on Friday that I'm aware of but then again he was in experienced hands. :) Some pasta, water and a couple of hours of sleep made all the difference.

• 5 years later...