2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest & CanJam@RMAF

Asr

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, jesus, another one goes to the dark side.

I am so sorry.

You fucking fucker!

I am so, so sorry.

Dude, wait...what?

Yeah, talk to Alex. Apparently she's a big deal in LA.

Are you talking about the LCD-2? They do look very nice.

e.jpg

The very ones. The fit is awfully tight at the moment, but the sound is excellent. They've been a hit with everyone here who heard them.

Any of the vendors drag Sound Lab speakers there?

Not that I've seen yet, and I would have. Ray Kimber has the JBL Everest there this year, I believe, and he usually springs for the Sound Labs.

The LCD-2's ear pads are very nicely made. They look on par with R10 and Omega 2 ear pads.

They are without a doubt on that level. Very comfy, and very like O2 pads, though evidently a bit cheaper.

Any news about the eXStatA amplifier?

Yeah, lots of news. We had the sand version on display in Larry's rig today, and it was a hit. After some source tinkering, the general opinion was that it bested the Woo GES on the O2s, though it was a little bright on the Lambdas. Bill got some ideas from folks at the show, and he's tinkering tonight the see if the brightness can be tamed without sacrificing any of the excellent detail it showed, or if it was just an odd mismatch in that system.

In any case, it was extremely comparable to the Woo, which is a great amp. This thing could be a game changer, and I look forward to hearing more tomorrow.

When you've got a motley crew of some really cool Head-Casers (and even Head-Fiers), who cares about speakers? Hell, who cares about headphones? It's been absolutely fantastic so far and that's not even for the audio show (which is cool too of course, but not as fun as hanging out).

I would've posted pics and/or impressions by now but those will have to come later, when I have more time to compile everything, because I'm beat.

I'll recap what went down Friday 10/2. I saw some headphones but listened to none, literally. All I did was talk to people new and old (including vendor stalwarts Woo Audio, RSA, Moon Audio, et al) and take pics of the headphone room. Most people were familiar - JP and Jude whom I saw first, and then later on, Sherwood, Augsburger, HPA, and of course the vendors. Very cool crowd that includes AmanGeorge from over at the other site. I made a mid-day rush with JP to grab a cable adapter for his Mac computer at a local Apple store and we grabbed lunch on the way back. And later on we assembled a small group to go out to dinner that included me, Sherwood (Tyler), Augsburger (Greg), and AmanGeorge (Aman). Sherwood drove us to a really cool place in downtown Denver (which is quite a ways from the event hotel) that featured "comfort food" and some drinks that I personally did not get to partake in. Food was amazing and the company was also awesomely entertaining. 'Twas definitely a night to remember. Big thanks to Tyler for taking us to a great little place that I'll have to go back to.

Though I kinda wanted to also check out speakers over the weekend, it doesn't really matter if I don't get to. The speakers will continue to be here every year but the people necessarily won't. :)

I'll post my next update tomorrow (Sunday) night but don't expect pics or impressions then. Those will probably come even later....

Yeah, lots of news. We had the sand version on display in Larry's rig today, and it was a hit. After some source tinkering, the general opinion was that it bested the Woo GES on the O2s, though it was a little bright on the Lambdas. Bill got some ideas from folks at the show, and he's tinkering tonight the see if the brightness can be tamed without sacrificing any of the excellent detail it showed, or if it was just an odd mismatch in that system.

In any case, it was extremely comparable to the Woo, which is a great amp. This thing could be a game changer, and I look forward to hearing more tomorrow.

I think where the GES excelled with the O2 Mk1 was in the tone and sound signature/frequency response, while the balanced eXStata had a superior soundstage and separation and a little more power - while being brighter than I would like. So, I kinda felt that evened things out a bit. But when the extra brightness of the eXStata is dealt with it will be a force to be reconned with. It's already better with O2 Mk1 than the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro or SRM-T1. It definitely improved when switching the PS Audio DAC to 96 Khz up-sampling instead of 192, which was better with the GES.

I have the JMoney leather pads for D7000 and I'm pretty sure the Audeze pads are made by him (okay, Audeze confirmed my guess too, but said shhhh, which I can't, sorry guys).

Man, I wish I could've made it there but the money just wasn't there!

For you guys that want to hear something pretty special, make sure and visit Bobby Palkovic's Merlin Music Systems room. He really knows how to set up a great system in those shitty hotel rooms and the Joule Electric amps don't hurt either.

It's not your knock you socks off demo (which I get pretty sick of after a day or so) but just nice pure music.

Not to be missed IMHO.

Enjoy!

I loved this room not sure if I love the speakers or amps more. I sent a few folks up to that room and their views were mixed though. I thought the rooms strenghts were mids and tone .

Not a single pic? Really? REALLY?

yes really not a single pic

X2, pretty lame.

not nearly as lame as the two of you choosing your family over headphones, speakers, toob amps and beer.

I had a great time and did take many pics as there were plenty of better cameras around. There will be plenty of pics as well as write ups as most of the major magazines came by and listened to stuff.

Game changers? There were four, so far as I could tell.

1) Cavalli/Spruce Canyon ExStatA (lol). This is the DIY amp designed by Alex Cavalli, and prototyped by the who's who. The one on display was all transistor, balanced/SE, drove Pro and Normal bias, and had two pots (as two are much less expensive than one). It bested HPA's Woo GES on both o2s and lambdas, to my ears. Very, very powerful and dynamic. I've got mine on order, right effing now. Something like $300 parts cost.

2) Audez'e LCD-2. These are WAAY better than the LCD-1 in both sound and fit-n-finish. The headband is still in Beta, as it was a little goofy and clamped my head tighter than Denver strippers, but WOW what a sound. I've never been a huge ortho devotee, though now I wonder why. Deep, tight, impactful bass, smooth frequency response curve (or sounded that way, at least) and slightly less-than-sparkly top end. I do likes teh sparklez, but these are the best "bass phones" I heard at the show. Loved 'em.

3) JH13. Lots of pixels have been spilled over these, so you all know what's up. Ton (sp?) was there taking impressions, Jaime and Jerry and Brittany and Bree and Brandi and Brady were all charming, and the phones themselves were beyond stunning. I was either directly or indirectly responsible for 6 pairs sold, by my count. One of those was my own pair, and one was a pair of JH5 for my wife, who is excited like a little girl. Brent, I spent time with the JH5 and the JH13 universals side by side for you -- I'll write my impressions in the relevant thread.

4) Cavalli EHHA. This drove my k1000s better than my moth does, for something like $500 in parts. NoNoNoNoNoNo will build you one, if you ask him to. It is stunning -- clear, powerful, articulate, just wonderful. I'm clearly gushing over Cavalli here, but it really wowed me. I can't give terribly substantive comments, as I listened primarily to Bill's music through his source and my k1000s, but it was effing brilliant. If only I wasn't selling all my dynamics for the JH13s.... :(

Lots of other notable stuff. The ultrasone Edition 8s were ghastly, even worse than the 9s. They are my new suck barometer.

More than anything, though, this was a phenomenal weekend of spending time with new and old friends, meeting the hifi elite and laughing at their silly floostanding headphones, drinking Colorado beers, and eating great food. I wish I never had to go back to work. Thanks to JP#, Jude, Augsberger, ASR, AmanGeorge,Alex and Shankar, Larry, Drew from Moon, Ray effing Samuels, Jerry Harvey's hottie entourage, and everyone else there for a phenomenal weekend. I almost couldn't find the time to actually listen to anything with all the talking, eating, smoking and drinking. I'd sooner give up the headphones than the meets.

yes really not a single pic

not nearly as lame as the two of you choosing your family over headphones, speakers, toob amps and beer.

I had a great time and did take many pics as there were plenty of better cameras around. There will be plenty of pics as well as write ups as most of the major magazines came by and listened to stuff.

Well, I actually stayed home with my family so that we could go see shit tons of amazing free music at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. Oh, and by the way, I already posted lots of pics in the concert thread. So suck on that! :chair:

Still dying to see more of what was going on at RMAF and jealous as hell because I wasn't there. :palm: