2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest & CanJam@RMAF

Asr

Biggest game changer for me was when reviewers and speaker audio guys took a listen to many of the top flight rigs that were present and there jaws dropped many thought our rigs sounded better than many of the speaker rooms.

only in so much as well likely see more investment in headphone related gear from major players as they finally got it that we are the future of audiophile listening.

Really nice, John. Congrats on putting this together.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

call me and we can talk about who to potentially contact. They were stoked at reaching a younger audience and get that they need to reach out. It was a team effort and team Colorado came through in spades showing the best of the gear and more importantly the best of the community aspects.

Totally awesome. Way to go John, Tyler, and company.

Alas, the F1 and the B22 were not there, but the moth was. The EHHA is better than the Moth at effectively everything with the k1000, and plenty with the Grado. The speed, dynamics, power and tone were dead spot on. If they cost the same amount of money and I was only using the Grados, I'd get the Moth. As it is, the EHHA is $500 of parts to the $1500 Moth, and doesn't require periodic tube replacements to run. It's a no-brainer.

From aural memory, I feel comfortable stating that the EHHA is a better match for the K1000s than the F1 will ever be. They both exert a surprising amount of control over the drivers, but the F1 is not really designed for high-impedance headphones. I expect the Moth and the F1 to outperform the EHHA on my cicadas, however. In any case, I should very much like to test that theory.

Seriously, though, guys, the EHHA has gobs of power, just stupid amounts. Bill's build is a BJT version, rather than Mosfet, and it's also balanced. I'm sure that accounts for part of the power, but it was really remarkable.

I'm sorry but I felt the Moth sounded about the same with K1000 as my ZDT, but with less power. With both the Moth and ZDT I felt the K1000s were lacking dynamics and impact and felt slow, while the EHHA woke them up and brought them to life. The K1000 through the EHHA finally impressed me with how good the K1000 really can be, right before I was gonna give up and sell the K1000. Now I see them in a different light. I am borrowing the EHHA, and will have an SAC K1000 amp loaner here next Monday to compare with K1000 and HD800.

I think the things I came away from RMAF wanting (that I could afford) are an EHHA, an eXStata, and the GR9 iPod digital DAC box or Wadia iTransport. I'd prefer the Woo WES, but don't think I can swing it without selling more stuff than I'd like to part with.

no need to be sorry, Larry, but I have witnesses to you saying you preferred your k1k on the moth at the show. What changed?

The source. When I switched from the Apple TV to the Macbook Pro and then went back and compared the two, and the fact that the EHHA was so far ahead of both of them that it rendered them almost equally bad.

amen to that. My moth is back on speaker/grado duty where it belongs today.

Slightly off topic but in-line with this discussion of the EHHA at RMAF.

I have the EHHA here on loan, and while it still isn't perfect with the K1000 it is clearly better with the K1000 over the ZDT in a few areas. (1) the bass is tighter and more defined with the EHHA and K1000, with not as much of a bass cloud although still a little muddy vs the HD800 tight bass, (2) The mids are not as forward or over-present as they are with the ZDT and it's less colored, and (3) the treble with the EHHA has a slight increased sparkle over the ZDT with the K1000, although the ZDT treble improves as it heats up for a couple of hours.

I am going to try rolling some 12AX7/5751 tubes in the ZDT and see what that does. The GE grey plate 5751 in the ZDT right now is perfect with the HD800/600 RS-1/HF-2 and LA7000, while the stock Mullard re-issue was a little brighter and edgier and this one is smoother and softer. I have a GE black plate 5751, a couple of Tung Sol 5751, a Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7, and the old 12BZ7 from the GES that Craig says is okay to use. He said my Mullard 12AU7 or Siemens ECC82 wont bias right.