Who do you personally believe to be the greatest author to have put pen to paper?

Chekhonte

For some reason I've been asking myself this question over the past couple of weeks and have enjoyed thinking about it. I'll preface this by acknowledging that it's an impossible question to answer and I don't expect anything resembling a conclusion to be made. I only intend to spark debate--hopefully.

I whittled down my list to Chekhov, Beckett, Borges, Cervantes and Kafka. I finally settled on Chekhov for his ability to shape his stories on simply how we think in contrast to how we behave and ultimately how we feel about it. He distilled the human condition into it's most basic and most recognizable state seemingly without artifice. I haven't learned more about people and myself from any other author and in life really what else is there but our relationships with people?

I hate the idea of any kind of greatest, because as soon as you start thinking that way, you're not only already wrong, you inescapably narrow your experience of things by trying to make it fit into a hierarchy. Great art has always defied hierarchies by simply existing. What bad irony it is to then do that with great artists such as Chekhov, Beckett, Borges, Cervantes and Kafka, as well as thousands more, and even thousands more we'll never know. It makes no sense.

Edited by boomana

Well, you could talk about writers/artists has you have with Chekhov. That might be interesting. When I was your age, I was also heavily into all those you mentioned. Beckett and Kafka became less interesting to me as I got older, and and I appreciated Borges and Cervantes far more. Have no idea why. I haven't read Chekhov in at least 20 years, so maybe it's time.

I hate the idea of any kind of greatest, because as soon as you start thinking that way, you're not only already wrong, you inescapably narrow your experience of things by trying to make it fit into a hierarchy. Great art has always defied hierarchies by simply existing. What bad irony it is to then do that with great artists such as Chekhov, Beckett, Borges, Cervantes and Kafka, as well as thousands more, and even thousands more we'll never know. It makes no sense.
Just wow.

I have expressed a similar sentiment, but not so eloquently spoken.

Gotta beg to differ. Defined (though even general ones like this has its uses) hierarchies are only an issue if you place too much emphasis at the top. Using examples already given, ranking Shakespeare above Chekhov isn't remotely an insult to Chekhov, an encouragement to avoid him, nor inclusive of all related non-defined traits or differences (not to mention relationships are likely a key of the digestion of both authors by most readers).

From the vast amount of time my 30-40 year old co-workers spend reading comics (sorry guzzi ;)), I'd say we need more lists! Stretching it, I have the same problem when people start ranting about film criticism, which seems to be the trend lately. We have limited time on planet Earth, hierarchical lists, reviews, etc. open up experiences through focus. At least in theory. Worry less about hypothetical exclusions and more about accurate, defensible inclusions.

I suppose easy additions would be "Homer" and the Kalevala author(s) (or does oral traditions blow the pen requirement). ;) And does Shakespeare have to exist?

Also don't think can ignore Oprah, who likely still thinks Frey is the swellest.

I'm going to go all national pride on you and say, Snorri Sturluson since he's credited for writing my favorite book, Egils Saga. It may be 750 years old but it's just brilliant and even funny at times. Pretty hard to make the main character likable when he's a greedy SOB who killed his first man at the ripe age of 7 but he pulled it off.

Birgir: Snorri is my wife's favorite writer as well. She has a certificate in Icelandic sagas, and we used to talk about how wonderful a system it was where you could kill a man so long as you left your axe so everyone knew it was you.

On a side note, Mevlana Rumi does not get my vote.

Birgir: Snorri is my wife's favorite writer as well. She has a certificate in Icelandic sagas, and we used to talk about how wonderful a system it was where you could kill a man so long as you left your axe so everyone knew it was you.

:o

I was most influenced by JRR Tolkein and loved his writing, even though difficult to read even one sentence aloud in one breath to my kids.

That's too cool. :) There have been some talk of late that we drop our current democratic government and adopt the pre 1264 system again. It will never happen but it would be cool none the less.