Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

Actually, I am going to say that if you do not really like the 650 you probably should look elsewhere than the 600.
This is actually the closest to what advice I would give, were I serious. They really are very close. Though there are scores of people who like one and not the other, so they must be very close to the line.

The Line == that threshold of quality/fidelity/musicality/value/whathaveyou/whatnot/whatever below which we care not to go.

I haven't spent much time with the HD600 and now that I've sold the HD800, the 650 sounds a bit boomy. Granted, it is headphiled, but I suspect it would still sound boomy if I were to replace the grills.

Any thoughts re the 600? I haven't spent much time with it. And what would be a good price used?

I had my HD600 for over 2 yrs before selling it in favor of HD650. IMO HD650 has a more engaging and transparent midrange (you can probably tell I am big on midrange performance), which was, at the time, enough for me to give up HD600. Both are non-offending. HD600 is probably just a had quicker at the extremes. Although the latest HD650 revision probably makes that a moot point.