Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

Pfff -- firmly in the 600 club right here.  Not that I have anything against you guys who are wrong, I think it's just a matter of taste.  Wrong taste.

And amps.  They're close enough that a subtly different amp could make one sound better than the other.

It's just that the 600 is better.  I think Tommy Chong said it best when he said, "dude, wait, what?"

Pfff -- firmly in the 600 club right here.  Not that I have anything against you guys who are wrong, I think it's just a matter of taste.  Wrong taste.

And amps.  They're close enough that a subtly different amp could make one sound better than the other.

It's just that the 600 is better.  I think Tommy Chong said it best when he said, "dude, wait, what?"

In on annual HD580/600 vs HD650 debate

HD600 crew checking in

Thank you for returning the sanity back to this thread.

(In old headfi voice) you hd600 haters simply don't have good enough of an amp to drive them (old headfi voice)

• Like 1

I smoke weed listen to 650s and 580s erryday.  The 650s are driven by an HRBD fed by a Quad 99 CDP-2.  The 580s are driven by a ca. 2004 GLite + DPS fed by a (much older) Parasound DAC-800.  The two rigs sound remarkably similar to me, but I have tin ears and can't be trusted.

Edited by Knuckledragger

I prefer the 600 too. I always thought the 600 are a bit bass-heavy, kind of warm, yet resolving. The 650 are a bit too much of a good thing. Maybe more resolving, but being warmer and more bass-heavy, sort of less enticing. I could live with either of them anyways, I still keep my 14 years old (or so) HD600 pair.

I have 2 HD600's and 1 HD650.

I like all of them.

Also have 1 Cardas smurf blue cable, 1 Zu Mobius cable and 1 Equinox LE cable.

At the risk of starting a war, I must say that all 3 aftermarket cables are better than the stock ones.

Excerpt from my response on InnerFidelity:

I have always favored the 650s, but I do not agree that they are much warmer and certainly not "too warm" or veiled when cabled and amped right.  I wrote a Head-Fi review of replacement cables a million years ago and still feel the same way (all my personal taste, ymmv, blah, blah, blah):  650s sound their best with SAA Equinox and other fast, resolving cables, and 600s sound best with copper cables like the Moon Audio Blue Moon or Cardas Fat Pipe.  Balanced drive does make a big difference, especially with fine OTL tube amps or really good SS amps.

Edited by Voltron

Excerpt from my response on InnerFidelity:

I have always favored the 650s, but I do not agree that they are much warmer and certainly not "too warm" or veiled when cabled and amped right.  I wrote a Head-Fi review of replacement cables a million years ago and still feel the same way (all my personal taste, ymmv, blah, blah, blah):  650s sound their best with SAA Equinox and other fast, resolving cables, and 600s sound best with copper cables like the Moon Audio Blue Moon or Cardas Fat Pipe.  Balanced drive does make a big difference, especially with fine OTL tube amps or really good SS amps.

Thanks for your comments, Al.  I won't shill for pageviews, so here's my response there:

I reckon my perception of the difference comes from having them side to side, and in listening my preference seemed pretty clear to me. Don't think the measurements are telling the whole story...don't think they ever do, TBH. They both have their merits, and I do like the more refined sound of the 650. I think with proper care and feeding (see your comments on cables and balanced/really good amps, which I agree with) the 650 might surpass the 600 for me, but I haven't really sussed that out.

I agree, both these cans play well above their price in today's market.

Awesome, G-Man!

Shill away, Tyll!  I'll definitely go back and pump it a few times to see what crap other people write in response.  :D

Oh my, spot on, Graham.

Al -- ...or Cardas Neutral Ref...

Which people have totally ruined for me by calling them "smurf blue".  :(

So I just shut up and enjoy the sweet sweet headbanging music.

The smurf blue cable is not Cardas Neutral Reference to my understanding.  That is a different cable for speakers and interconnects, not for headphones that I recall, and is way more money.  The Fat Pipe was a HeadRoom exclusive Cardas blue (then grey) cable with a different shielding or just different sheath.  Tyll should be able to clarify because he was hawking them at meets back in the day and I thought they were among the best, especially for HD600s.