Should I Get an HD600?

The Monkey

• 10 months later...

I don't want to create a new thread for this minor question- I have noticed some crackling in the left side of my HD580, is this an issue with the cable or the connector inside the headphones? I can't remember which one it was but do remember this being an issue back in the day when more people liked Senns :)

I don't have any other cables to test it out with.

I don't want to create a new thread for this minor question- I have noticed some crackling in the left side of my HD580, is this an issue with the cable or the connector inside the headphones? I can't remember which one it was but do remember this being an issue back in the day when more people liked Senns :)

I don't have any other cables to test it out with.

Most likey in the cans. The contact point for the pins of cable is a small short spring. If the winding of the spring spreads out a little, you get this.

You could of course swap the left and right connectors to verify. There was a thread with pictures showing how to fix this. If I find it later, I'll link it.

I think it might be the cable. I was having a very similar issue with my HD600 using the cardas cable, I sent the cable back to them and they fixed it.

I should not however that I thought it was pretty clear it was the cable in my case however as there was visible damage to the cable from my cats having chewed on it. Apparently the cardas warranty covers cat-related damage because I told them what happened and was willing to pay for a repair but they said it was covered and did it for free. Can't complain about that kind of service!

Anyway, your results may differ if your cables look fine, but I'd still guess it is the cable, probably the cable connection inside the connector.

Edited by Driftwood

• 2 years later...

Hate to revive a zombie thread, but Tyll's long awaited HD580/600/650 review needed to show up here somewhere.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650

I went out and reordered an HD600 after I read this. The 600 was my first high-end headphone and the nostalgia factor along with your review/videos were just too much. I really need to work on the whole "will power" thing.

Edited by TMoney

Like it....

I see quite a few stories about people buying-selling-buying again.  I have done that with 580's (on my 3rd pair), 600's and 650's (twice each, still have a 600 now, thank-you-Nate).

Indeed, tube amps help, as one of my favorite budget "fun" combo's is the Eddie Current Lunchbox and 580.  Got that combo again now.

Good balanced amps seem to also have made a difference in perception of the Senn's.  I remember seeing stories of how that mystical veil disappeared with a good balanced amp.  Tyll's description of the 650 acknowledges that veiled may be valid as a descriptor; I'm not so sure, but maybe it's just semantics....if an amp can "remove" it, not so sure I'd want to call it a veil....but minor quibble....

So good one, Tyll, a nice read about nice phones.

I'd just call them a good counter to the brighter transducers of this world.  I always used the HD600's back in the day with some very powerful amps and I had no complaints.  Never did care for the HD650 though... 

One odd thing though, this hybrid I have now sounds much more like the HD600 than the 650 despite having brand spakin' new 650 drivers.  The baffle is an old 580 unit so that could account for the change in tone. 

Good article, I hope more people read it. Somehow we need to show Sennheiser that this is the sort of headphone we want, not the HD700. I like both the HD600 and HD650 a lot, and I generally dislike dynamics altogether. I think the HD650 is a bit more detailed and technically capable, but the voicing on the HD600 makes it more suited to a wider variety of genres. Regardless, both aren't quite as far from neutral as popular hearsay makes them out to be, at least when driven well.

My pair just came in this afternoon.

I'm gonna have to agree with Spritzer on this one.

Just like you'd expect, tonally they are as fantastic as ever. While they aren't able to keep pace with the big boys when it comes to detail, punch, and technicalities, boy do they ever hit the nail on the head with the tonality. Smooth, with a tiny bit of warmth. You could listen to these all day.

They'll make a great headphone to keep around the office.

The 650 is better.

The Monkey knows what he's talking about ::)

I prefer the 650 over the 580, but haven't heard the 600.

I have owned the 600 twice & still own the 650.

I compared the 600 to the 650 when I owned both.The 650 won out.

Yep. I still have my 650.