New, Cheap Dynalo...

Raez

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how it will compare with my Gilmore Ref. For that price then, it is very hard to beat.

I'd rather have one that uses the dual packages... or at least, the singles closer together and somehow thermally coupled. I'm not sure which (if any) of Justin's use the singles, so I'm sure this statement is of little help..

Yeah, they made no attempt to put the singles next to each other, which really would have been pretty easy to do. The PSU in the Gilmore Ref is the original tracking design with the OPA548s, so would be better than what is in this. This appears to be a simple LM317/337 PSU.

These guys claim they switched transistors... wonder what they used and if it is an improvement over the Toshiba 2SA1015/2SC1815 used by the original design? Really can't think of many areas to "tweak" one of these designs. Certainly not to the level of "puffery" they allude to. Still, for the price, not bad. Hope the PCB doesn't suck like some "blue" boards I have worked on. Poor copper bonding to the substrate in those.

The HA-006+ improves on the original version by finer tuning of the sound, with smoother sound, better soundstage and great decay.

Guess I should note that my comment above was meant purely satirically. I have no idea at all what this amp sounds like, nor have I ever listened to a Gilmore Lite.

But as long as KG is OK with it, I think it's great to have a dirt cheap Dynalo out there, because it's a classic design. Have I mentioned missing my old GS-1? Maybe a couple times... :)

Shit, I ordered one based on your recommendation Stretch, should have known better. :(

No, but seriously, I've been hunting for a GLite for a while and they get snatched in a matter of minutes on Head-fi. And they're a bit expensive at HeadAmp right now with the recent price increase, so a cheap and KG-approved Dynalo sounds like a good plan. I'll report back when I get it, shipping is supposed to be 2-5 days.

Shit, I ordered one based on your recommendation Stretch, should have known better. :(

No, but seriously, I've been hunting for a GLite for a while and they get snatched in a matter of minutes on Head-fi. And they're a bit expensive at HeadAmp right now with the recent price increase, so a cheap and KG-approved Dynalo sounds like a good plan. I'll report back when I get it, shipping is supposed to be 2-5 days.

If you wanna cancel your order there is one on Head-Fi for $325. It says IC but he'll sell it now.

Guess I should note that my comment above was meant purely satirically. I have no idea at all what this amp sounds like, nor have I ever listened to a Gilmore Lite.

But as long as KG is OK with it, I think it's great to have a dirt cheap Dynalo out there, because it's a classic design. Have I mentioned missing my old GS-1? Maybe a couple times... :)

This is a modified version of KG's amp. Someone changed the output stage of the amp on HeadWize several years ago, said it was better, and since then it's appeared on every DIY version.

The Gilmore Lite is about to be sold out anyway. on today's Head-Fi? They're about 6 years too late.

This is a modified version of KG's amp. Someone changed the output stage of the amp on HeadWize several years ago, said it was better, and since then it's appeared on every DIY version.

The Gilmore Lite is about to be sold out anyway. on today's Head-Fi? They're about 6 years too late.

Was this the addition of a pair of diodes between the VAS stage BJTs, and reduction of the resistor from 510 to 215 ohms? That's the only change I am aware of. This amp has that, but didn't take it as far as was meant by bonding the diodes to the output stage transistors. I could never hear a difference in this mod.