Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

Have you ordered from Conrad Heatsinks recently? The prices on the site all date to 2008. I sent an email requesting some clarifications and updated quotes a few days ago, and have not heard back. 

I am chasing up my order of MF35-100 heatsinks for my Carbon build tomorrow by phone. They have been very slow at responding lately.

Pm me if you want any help.

Edited by wokstarr26
  • Like 1

Conrad Heatsink is a small Australian company. Lately they are very very slow in replying emails and phone calls are going to message bank.

Julian Wales is the manager and the only person looking after orders phone and email etc. I placed my order via phone 3 weeks ago and it is being shipped yesterday.

Shane ( dont know his company position) called me after saying Julian is snowed under hence all the delay.

The price list on the web site is not correct. Email Julian for correct pricing. Expect delays in reply.

After all said and done the  quality of their  heatsink is very good. The machined side is dead flat and smooth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Following up on my own heatsink question, in case anyone else is looking: after failing to get a response from Conrad, I discovered Fischer Elektronik, and found that it makes excellent extrusion profiles for the casework I plan to do. This, for example, is the 300x40mm heatsink, available in several different lengths including 100mm, that I ended up buying.

As far as distribution goes, I ordered two of these heatsinks from Newark Element 14. Another heatsink I considered is a smaller 100x40mm unit, and putting three of them side-by-side (so the fins run horizontal to the case), but decided against worrying about the dissipation behavior of this system.

The large sinks arrived today, and they look and feel fantastic. I'm sure they will handle the Carbon easily. I'm too lazy to post pictures, but can do so if anyone wants.

I would love to design some custom profiles, but I can't imagine anyone, Fischer included, wanting to deal with that for a small order. I don't mind paying for an extrusion die, but I don't want to deal with minimum orders of 1000kg.

about 40-50 people participated in the Carbon or Caps Group Buy.
The SK56 Fischer heatsink I use two of in my Carbon CCs weighs about 1,3kg each  ~ 760 SK56 / ton -> average 16 heatsinks /50 participants
RS-Online sell those for about 23EUR/sink, buying 500 the price drops about 28%.
Buying directly from Fischer rather than RS-Online should cut some 30% at least - so a guess would be 12EUR/sink -> average of ~ 185EUR/16sinks x 50 participants

Maybe a joint Head-Case effort making a box design that  would scale from Dynalo - Dynahi/KGSShv/KGST/Carbon/BHSE - Circlotron in three steps where only the height, the top/bottom plate changes? maybe a back/front plate in a 'nordic' design and a 'japanese' design (lots of text/lights/buttons..) ? 

Carbon CC

Carbon CC?

Maybe a joint Head-Case effort making a box design that  would scale from Dynalo - Dynahi/KGSShv/KGST/Carbon/BHSE - Circlotron in three steps where only the height, the top/bottom plate changes? maybe a back/front plate in a 'nordic' design and a 'japanese' design (lots of text/lights/buttons..) ? 

I'll post my Carbon case design when I finish it, it might match what you're thinking of for some of the amps. That Fischer SK56 is already available in different heights, 75mm, 100mm, 150mm, and 200mm (and 1000mm, but that's clearly not for DIY amplifier builders).

The Dynalo doesn't need external heatsinks, though, and the Circlotron has way too much going on for the footprint I'm designing for the Carbon. For the Dynahi, KGSSHV, KGST, and Carbon, it should work. Not sure about the Megatron or BHSE, I never looked at the size of those boards.

Edited by gepardcv
multiquote

Carbon CC?

Probably "Cascoded CCS" ... the Carbon boards I bought from Spritzer didn't have cascoded CCS and didn't have opto coupler in the servo as the Carbon v5 from mwl168 group buy have. The Spritzer board does have extensive ground plane which the Carbon v5 doesn't.
I guess the Carbon CC will be pretty close to the Insanity one (but probably not sporting the GR LV) ...

I'm working on a Larocco prototype right now.  I'm getting down to final assembly and realized that the Alps pot has a 20mm shaft, but it's going through a 10mm front panel.  Most knobs have the set screw at 10mm so I think i'm guaranteed it will fall off at first use.  

Q1: Does anyone know of knobs (EDIT: that aren't fugly) which have the set screw at less than 10mm?

Q2: This sounds hokey, but is anyone aware of a way to extend the shaft 5mm?  

If not, I suppose I'll have to drill out the inside of the panel to regain a few mm.  

Thanks. 

Edited by bhjazz