Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

• 2 weeks later...

What is a good (unbalanced stereo (2-channel)) volume pot or passive preamp that does not get unbalanced at low levels (stepped or not) (or has 2 independent controls that normally turn together(dual concentric pot))?

I listen to music very quietly most of the time.

What is a good volume pot or passive preamp that does not get unbalanced at low levels (or has 2 independent controls that normally turn together (like a STAX SRM-1 MK2))?

I've gotten a SYS, and it unbalances fast, Emotiva, SB control pot, even the KGSS pot unbalances fast.  Loved the SRM-1's, because a tiny adjustment would keep it balanced all the way down?

So basically something to sit inline between the DAC and Amp near my hand would be ideal.

Stepped?  Maybe, don't care as long as it has enough granularity on the quiet end.

(I operate under the belief that expensive cables and pots don't sound better unless something is physically wrong with them, so please operate with that assumption)

Under $200 for an assembled preamp, or in the vicinity of (or less than) $100 for the pot, and the rest for me to assemble the preamp

14 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

Is there any interest in a small LSK389 SOIC-8 group buy? By myself I need 40 so hitting the 100 MOQ is probably feasible with just a few participants. I think they will run in the $2.50/ea (fingers crossed), I have a RFQ out to Trendsetter in ATX.

Count me in for 20. 

Bah, I got my quotes mixed up. I think since there is a wide variety of people interested, and my experience with the C grade being super high Idss, I will offer the B grade, which is stated to be 6-12mA Idss.

I will stop the group buy at 100 pieces, they are quoting me $5.25/ea (in my defense I had another part quoted from them right next to this line item and I got confused). I will likely pay for the order and receive the parts before accepting any money, mostly due to my EOY schedule and limited time before hop on a series of planes. Worst case I will distribute these in late Jan.

I asked algar_emi who recently did a GB on these to see what kind of pricing he can get so we can compare. I believe I can get a quote direct from Linear Systems as well.

10 hours ago, sorenb said:

if of any help, I've collected the interest in buying LSK389 here

I appreciate the help, but honestly I don't really have time to deal with too many requests. I've purchased the parts, they'll be here in a week, considering Thanksgiving. I had to pay CA sales tax, so my invoice cost was $500.42. If no one wants any, that's fine I'll use them. If anyone interested, see the thread here:

http://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/12421-fs-lsk389-b-soic-8/

As Luvdunhill has a limit of 100 total for his mini-GB, and the the count was well above 100 not counting myself and luvdunhill, I've got a quote from Trendsetter at 5USD/ea, at minimum of 100, I've decided to organize a GB for those who still wants the LSK389B at 5USD/each, state your interest here