Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

• 5 weeks later...

PCB Test point Jacks:

I got this one from 

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=11011-Rvirtualkey53400000virtualkey534-11011-R

Teflon post with copper center, I thought this must be for a bag (none of the documentation was clear). Nope, it's for a single jack! Mind you the jacks are beautiful, the perfect test point jack and easy too use but obviously too expensive. 

Any other sources? I've trolled Mouser but haven't found anything similar. 

I'm after some help with my latest chassis design.

It's an off board KGSSHV, in which Camexpert will be fabing all the panels and drilling the heatsinks.

Which leaves me to create all the brackets, I've bought 16mm equal angle x 3mm x 1 metre lengths.

Cutting is a no brainier, I've bought a little metal mitre box for this.

It's the accurately positioning of the drill holes is where I may struggle, with my limited knowledge and tools, this is my plan...

I have 100% accurate paper print outs of the drawings, which I'll use spray adhesive to stick on the brackets, the quick test I did last week proved to be a good technique for accurate hole location.

I plan use a Stanley knife to cut a cross for the centre of the holes in the aluminum.

Then using a automatic centre punch as starting point in the middle of the cut cross, which I'm hoping to find the exact centre by feel.

This is where I start to get nervous, I bought several #2 centre drill bits to make a pilot hole using a drill press.

From what I've read and watched, it's best not to clamp down the aluminum, instead it's best to let it float on the drill press and let the centre drill bit grab the metal and find the punch hole. Bearing in mind the spinning bit would be very close to punch proximity to enable this, doing an alignment beforehand.

Then finally a pass through with the final drill bit size, an M3 or M4, again with the piece of aluminum floating on the drill press.

That's the plan, sorry it's so long winded, am I on the right path?

I'm after some help with my latest chassis design.

It's an off board KGSSHV, in which Camexpert will be fabing all the panels and drilling the heatsinks.

Which leaves me to create all the brackets, I've bought 16mm equal angle x 3mm x 1 metre lengths.

Cutting is a no brainier, I've bought a little metal mitre box for this.

It's the accurately positioning of the drill holes is where I may struggle, with my limited knowledge and tools, this is my plan...

I have 100% accurate paper print outs of the drawings, which I'll use spray adhesive to stick on the brackets, the quick test I did last week proved to be a good technique for accurate hole location.

I plan use a Stanley knife to cut a cross for the centre of the holes in the aluminum.

Then using a automatic centre punch as starting point in the middle of the cut cross, which I'm hoping to find the exact centre by feel.

This is where I start to get nervous, I bought several #2 centre drill bits to make a pilot hole using a drill press.

From what I've read and watched, it's best not to clamp down the aluminum, instead it's best to let it float on the drill press and let the centre drill bit grab the metal and find the punch hole. Bearing in mind the spinning bit would be very close to punch proximity to enable this, doing an alignment beforehand.

Then finally a pass through with the final drill bit size, an M3 or M4, again with the piece of aluminum floating on the drill press.

That's the plan, sorry it's so long winded, am I on the right path?

I struggle with this myself. Even with accurate center punches the bit seems to want to walk. Interesting concept to let the part float. I'll have to try that as I think that could help.

I struggle with this myself. Even with accurate center punches the bit seems to want to walk. Interesting concept to let the part float. I'll have to try that as I think that could help.

Same struggle as well.  I've been using a hand drill to start the first hole and then using the drill press to enlarge.  I'm also using a cross slide vise on my drill press to allow adjustment while having it clamped down. 

when i do them, its a 3 step process per hole. which is why it comes out so nice.

even though i'm using full up commercial NC mills, if i just drilled the holes single

step, it would not be perfect.

first you use a centering drill

then you use a small drill bit

then i machine each hole round with the mill bit

now it really does not have to be this perfect, but its only a few minutes extra per

bracket

when i do them, its a 3 step process per hole. which is why it comes out so nice.

even though i'm using full up commercial NC mills, if i just drilled the holes single

step, it would not be perfect.

first you use a centering drill

then you use a small drill bit

then i machine each hole round with the mill bit

now it really does not have to be this perfect, but its only a few minutes extra per

bracket

Yeah - that is the way to do it.  I have a box of different size centre drills depending on the final hole size.

But since I don't have any NC malarky and only have a precision drill press it is important to mark the hole centres accurately.  I use a digital height gauge with hardened spur to scribe lines in precisely the right place.  I then use a magnifying glass to get a centrepunch right on the scribe marks.  Then the centre drill and final drill size.

Time consuming, but it sure is nice when everything fits together just right.

Thanks for the tips guys, I had time today to work on these brackets.

Punching and using a centre drill bit worked a treat, as well as leaving the jig floating on the drill press, this also saved a crap load set-up time between holes.

They’re fairly accurate... I’ve accounted for some margin off movement with the panels CamExpert are fabbing, but I won’t know for sure until I do a final fit.

17194040032_d66042173e_z.jpg

Damaged in an embarrassing way is all I know for sure. I think he was soldering a live circuit, and it shorted through the iron. I haven't used it, but he says the temperature has been unreliable since. It's also certainly no longer under warranty-- he modded it to install LEDs, so that he wouldn't forget to turn it off.

post-3944-0-30680700-1430061638_thumb.jp

(The dead batteries are to keep the sponge moist.)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone purchased hard-to-find transistors from pacificsemi in Vancouver Canada before? Are they reliable?

Looking to buy a few pairs of 2SK216/2SJ79. Found them at BDent and pacificsemi. BDent price is 50% higher than that of pacificsemi.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly part sourcing, but I need an advice.

I'm planning to put my DAC in a case, but it's using an old fat EI-core transformer.

I would like to take the 2-boxes way, but where am I putting the PS boards and chokes ? Boxed with the transformer, or with the signal stuff ?

I read that chokes are sensitive to EMI...

I'm looking to keep the PSU's impedance as low as possible.

Any idea ?

Edited by G600