Preamp with at least 1 balanced in, 1 balanced out, and one balanced loop/tape out?

tyrion

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through a similar decision process in late '08. I needed a preamp with at least 2 balanced inputs and 2 balanced outputs. There's a thread on here somewhere where I discussed it [too bad this version of vBulletin dun have "search for all threads by user X" feature anymore ...or maybe there is and I can't find the sodding thing.] I ended up with an Audio Research LS9. It has exactly what I need: 2 balanced ins, 2 balanced outs, plus 3 SE ins and 1 SE out. It also has a remote, which is really handy. The LS9 a solid state unit, from a company known almost exclusively for their tube gear. Consequently, its used price is a lot lower than most AR gear. I got the LS9 for 1/2 what an equivalent BAT unit would cost me, and about 1/3 of a Pass. The BAT and Pass gear have way more sex appeal than the AR products, which are kind of stodgy looking. Of course, one doesn't listen to sex appeal...

The AR LS10 is completely balanced-or-SE (take a look at the back panel), but it is a bigger and more expensive unit. It is solid state, like the LS9. The LS22, LS25, and LS26 are similarly balanced/SE, but are tube and will be vastly more expensive than an LS9.

Audio Research LS25 Mkll For Sale | AudiogoN $2500, sold. :-\

I own the Aesthetix Calypso. A great preamp and completely quiet, rumors notwithstanding. I preferred it to the BAT preamps I demo'd. However, it only has an RCA tape out, not a balanced tape out.

I don't think I have ever seen a tape out on a tube preamp that was balanced, although I admit I haven't looked very hard. Good luck finding one.

I would be a bit wary of Wyred 4 Sound or at least ask questions before you buy. I own one of their greatly heralded Class D amps (see reviews in 6moons, Positive Feedback, et al). It sounds really lousy and now just takes up space in my closet. If they mod one of the balanced outs on their new greatly heralded preamp to a balanced tape out, I would just make sure that you can still return the thing if you decide you don't like it at the end of their 30-day trial period.

One thought is to just connect RCA cables from the Perfect Wave DAC to a single-ended or balanced preamp (the Calypso?) that drives your power amp and speakers. Also connect XLR cables from the Perfect Wave DAC to your balanced headphone amp. Just turn on the one that you want to listen to and leave the other one off. Or leave them both on if you want (not sure why you would, unless you want to listen to your headphones and speakers at the same time). I am currently doing that with my Perfect Wave DAC and it works perfectly. I am sure I am violating some golden rule of audio by doing this but it still sounds great.

I want to go balanced into both my KGSS and my McCormack power amp (which by the way arrives at McCormack East today for much needed tlc).

I'm now thinking of trying out the PWD as the preamp. Is there a device that will let me take the balanced out from the PVD into a switch box that has a balanced input and two or more balanced outs? In other words, a Skipjack that is balanced.

The Darwin truly would be the perfect switcher for you Mike. Sorry for the fuzzy pic, but as you can see the balanced Darwin kit has 6 balanced inputs, two outputs and a loop out. Plenty of room for future expansion.

headphones003600x450.jpg

Unfortunately mine is not going anywhere anytime in the foreseeable future.

It may be worth your while to post at HF to see if anyone has a kit lying around, or even a finished unit. Slim chance maybe, but worth a quick inquiry.

The Darwin truly would be the perfect switcher for you Mike. Sorry for the fuzzy pic, but as you can see the balanced Darwin kit has 6 balanced inputs, two outputs and a loop out. Plenty of room for future expansion.

awesome image of TPA Balanced Darwin

Unfortunately mine is not going anywhere anytime in the foreseeable future.

It may be worth your while to post at HF to see if anyone has a kit lying around, or even a finished unit. Slim chance maybe, but worth a quick inquiry.

That would be perfect.

Yeah, I have little hope of anything happening at TPA. I have been waiting for over a year to pick up kits to make a balanced Darwin. Plus I have a certain fondness for the name.