The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Do I need to get something like this to get my Omega IIs to sing?

If it was built by someone even remotely competent (which Mikhail isn't) and sold at a price close to what it costs to make them then it would be an option but in the current state I'd stay away.

Asr,

If you'd like, I'd be happy to loan you my SRM-T1 in place of your SRM1-mk2 for awhile, so long as yours isn't the PP (pro jacks only) model. It's bone stock, save for the upgraded Japanese Matsushita tubes / RCA cleartops.

From what I understand, it's Birgir's favorite o2 Stax amp, save the SRM-717. He'll no doubt chime in here with how superior the KGSS is, and how superior the BHSE is to that, etc. but I have neither of those for you to borrow.

I have my ulterior motive, of course, in that I'd love to hear the O2 for a few days...

I'll be at RMAF all weekend -- if you're there we can swap

I've already got 3 Lambdas: the 202s, the 303s and the 404s, I can't believe that the Signatures are radically different, and in any case, that's not what my query was about.

I want to know why, after all I'd read, that my long-aspired-to dream of owning the 007/717 is not delivering what I'd expected!

I have a dCS / KGSS / SR-007 setup and recently got an SR-X Mk2 which I use together with SRM-313 in the office (soundcard as source). While SR-007 is dramatically more capable technically, I must say that in terms of enjoyment and the certain type of sound afforded by electrostatics, SR-X is virtually on par (at least for rock / synthpop). Going the other way, your disappointment doesn't surprise me one bit.

With better amplification, you should get more 'liveliness' out of SR-007, free from the technical limitations of SR-X.

Great to see you finally got your ES-1, Elephas. I hope you find the sound is at least half worth the wait. And of course we demand impressions! (And not with Hilary Duff music.) :P

Ah, instead I shall fall back on my and everyone's favorite Rihanna - Umbrella (Remixes).

Comparing gear with this song is quite simple, really.

First, choose one of the remix versions, I suggest "Jody Den Broeder Lush Club Remix" with a generous running time of 9:12.

Then place the headphones on your head.

Plant your butt into your listening chair, making sure you have plenty of room to move about. Prepare a pen and piece of paper.

Press play and turn up the volume to a level slightly higher than normal volume.

Now, enjoy Rihanna and count the number of butt wriggles you make over the duration of the song. Mark them down on the paper with the standard prisoner notation of groups of 4 vertical slashes and one long horizontal one.

If anyone can beat my record they can have my Aristaeus!

With better amplification, you should get more 'liveliness' out of SR-007, free from the technical limitations of SR-X.

This is the main reason why I sold all of my other headphones, even the ones I really like. While good they all suffer technical limitations compared to the Omegas and why settle for second best... :D

Interesting... so it's beginning to seem like the Omegas are just not delivering what I'm looking for, unless perhaps I risk more dinars on a KGSS or BH, which is not going to happen any day soon...

...damn!

Being a neutral transducer they will sound exactly like the system that they are used in. Give them more power and they will have a larger soundstage, more bass and treble but the fundamental character of the headphones will not change. If you are using Chord cables then I'd start by switching to something better and often cheaper. Since Naim has such a strong presence in the UK you shouldn't have any problem finding a DIN-RCA cable from somebody else, preferably a silver cable. I tried a few of the Chord cables in my system and they aren't a good match to the super resolving Omega.

Thanks to JP#'s, I once again have some Stax goodness in my life: Lambda Pro + SRM-1/MK2.

Of course this doesn't compare to the O2 MK1 + KGSS I used to down, mainly because that combo was much smoother than the Lambda combo. But I couldn't resist the Stax, and damn, I miss the sheer speed of 'stats compared to my HD650:o

Thanks to JP#'s, I once again have some Stax goodness in my life: Lambda Pro + SRM-1/MK2.

Of course this doesn't compare to the O2 MK1 + KGSS I used to down, mainly because that combo was much smoother than the Lambda combo. But I couldn't resist the Stax, and damn, I miss the sheer speed of 'stats compared to my HD650:o

Things that are smooth are definitely easier to down than things that are less smooth. :D

Damn, that's impressive.

And how did ol' "GPS" type that out on a computer? I don't know how to do that, that's the reason for the old-fashioned pen and paper.

That's like the mystery of how some people can type out SR-"Omega" with an "Omega" symbol instead of letters.

Maybe it can only be done on a Mac? :confused:

;D

Damn, that's impressive.

And how did ol' "GPS" type that out on a computer? I don't know how to do that, that's the reason for the old-fashioned pen and paper.

That's like the mystery of how some people can type out SR-"Omega" with an "Omega" symbol instead of letters.

;D

Word can do it also. Should be a "abc" with a line through it on the tool bar.

;D

Mac's are for people that get easily confused with more then one button on the mouse :D but I'll never tell how I do it on the PC!!!! SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω ;D