The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

the mouse i'm currently using with the mac at work has 7. 8, if you include clicking the scroll wheel, and 10 if you include left/right on the scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling.

Mac's are for people that get easily confused with more then one button on the mouse, except for Reks. :D but I'll never tell how I do it on the PC!!!! SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω SR-Ω ;D

Thank You for Your interest in our products.

Momentary our focus lies in the development and production of amplifiers for the owner of electrostatic loudspeakers.

Unfortunately the market of the electrostatic headphone owner is unknown, so that we can estimate only with difficulty whether a development of a headphone amplifier is worthwhile itself.

If You have more exact information, do not hesitate to tell these us.

The used tubes are part of the a trade secret, are however usually used tubes for high voltage purposes

So the Lambda Pro + SRM-1/MK2 combo definitely emphasizes sibilients and leading-edge transients more than the O2+KGSS combo I used to have.

For example, I listen to a lot of Neko Case, and on "That Teenage Feeling" from Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, the sibilants are definitely audible on the O2/KGSS combo, but they are not fatiguing because they are not emphasized. I can turn up the volume and it's still very listenable.

On the Lambda Pro/SRM-1 combo, I have to turn down the volume slightly, or else the emphasized sibilants become fatiguing after a while. But maybe I'm just not used to the Lambda sound after living with HD650s for the past half year.

I thought there was nothing wrong with the midrange, not as good as the O2, but nothing to complain either.

So to summarize, my impression of the Lambda Pro/SRM-1 combo is that, compared to a good O2 set up, it lacks refinement on both the top and bottom end, but otherwise, still a very enjoyable set up and definitely satisfies my 'stats withdrawal after selling the O2/KGSS combo.

Are you really down to only four headphones? Madness :peter:

4-8... depending on how you look at it... ;D

On that note, did you guys see the end price for the SRM-T2?

Madness! Pure madness! :eek:

I went up to 750kYen but 900k is just nuts.

Send them links to the HF Stax threads and even this one.

Sorry, I forgot to add the MK1.

What I wanted to ask was:

Is the O1 that much more fragile than the O2 MK1 ?

My bad, sorry about that.

As far as I know original Omega (Ω) is the one with problems due to issues with fragile drivers. Both Ω2 Mk2 (SR-007 Mk2) and Ω2 Mk1 (SR-007) are perfectly reliable headphones with very little issues if handled carefully.

As far as I know original Omega (Ω) is the one with problems due to issues with fragile drivers. Both Ω2 Mk2 (SR-007 Mk2) and Ω2 Mk1 (SR-007) are perfectly reliable headphones with very little issues if handled carefully.

the main issue is definitely the cable entry, assuming you listen with the cups rotated in an optimal position.

The mk2 would be more reliable since the redesigned cable entry is much better executed. They swapped out the fragile silver ribbons which connect the cable entry to the drivers and the whole assembly is now fixed with two screws on each side. Shame they had to do something as stupid as adding the port at the same time... :palm: The drivers have the same design which you should be able to shoot a bullet through and they would still play. :D

The SR-Ω is a huge can of worms with known failures from early on which were never fully resolved. The whole assembly is modular so that might be part of the problem...

the main issue is definitely the cable entry, assuming you listen with the cups rotated in an optimal position.

The mk2 would be more reliable since the redesigned cable entry is much better executed. They swapped out the fragile silver ribbons which connect the cable entry to the drivers and the whole assembly is now fixed with two screws on each side. Shame they had to do something as stupid as adding the port at the same time... :palm: The drivers have the same design which you should be able to shoot a bullet through and they would still play. :D

The SR-Ω is a huge can of worms with known failures from early on which were never fully resolved. The whole assembly is modular so that might be part of the problem...

So would you say SR-007 is as reliable as Lambda series if handled properly or does the cable entry presents an issue that will come out with time? My understanding was that SR-007 was a fairly reliable headphone with no known issue like the original Omega, am I not correct in my assumptions?

The problem with the Mk1 is twofold, the cable entry doesn't flex enough so the cable can break and since it is so stiff some of the force is transmitted inside the headphone and can break the delicate ribbon wires. A Mk2 cable will work just fine if you ever need a replacement.

Damn over 9k for the T2? That's nuts. Almost as nuts as the Dollar not equating to >100 yen anymore.

Yeah, with the Icelandic economy in the shit I'm glad I didn't buy it.

The problem with the Mk1 is twofold, the cable entry doesn't flex enough so the cable can break and since it is so stiff some of the force is transmitted inside the headphone and can break the delicate ribbon wires. A Mk2 cable will work just fine if you ever need a replacement.

Hmmm... that sounds worrisome. :(

So, IF it should happen, getting an mk2 cable as replacement would be fine? It fits right in there without requiring any tweaks? Just a standard solder job to get it up and running? ;D