The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Wrecked, MJ was meant to be listened thru the bass heavy R10, or even the bass-lite ones if you can live with less than adequate "disco bass". Only then you realize the man can sing ;)

I have to agree, MJ music is very good to show off that kind of thumpy "hard" bass and it's much better recorded than today's pop standards. I wish I could dance like him too. :o

Wrecked, MJ was meant to be listened thru the bass heavy R10, or even the bass-lite ones if you can live with less than adequate "disco bass". Only then you realize the man can sing ;)

@Antonio,

Well, I wish that I have an R10, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon so... ;)

FWIW, Craig (Kuboten) recently dug out his old MJ CDs and listened via the Lambda Signatures and T1 based on my recommendation, and he agreed with me, there is indeed something special happening there. I'm guessing he has had the R10s in the past too. Baby E, go listen to some MJ and get back to us. ;)

Yes, the man can sure sing. I'm listening to "Black or White" right now as I type this... awesome, just awesome, scheeweeet. ;D

@GPH, yeah, 80s and 90s pop ftw. Much, much better than today's crap.. uh.. pop... :o

Most of today's mainstream garbage can't even come close.

The Japanese are crazy over MJ, should be no surprise that two top of the line Japanese headphones (R10 and L. Sig) from roughly that era do soo well with his music... :P

Really? Aww... that's kinda disappointing to me... Forward is good, but the darker part... :(

**slowly slithers away back into the darkness(brightness)... **

If only the O2(both of 'em) had the brightness of the Signatures. :)

They are forward, but only when they need to be. Right now I'm listening to Muse and they are just as forward as the music needs them to be but no more.

I borrowed a 007t from Craig to try with my SR5NBs -- holy wow, now they seriously rock!

Listening to Sphongle - Are you sphongled? right now on the pro. OMG, teh roxxers. :P

I discovered by accident on my random playlist that Shpongle is indeed awesome with Stax. I'm listening to "... and the Day Turned to Night" as I write this with my above-mentioned combo -- the same one that makes jazz and classical utterley sublime.

FWIW, Craig (Kuboten) recently dug out his old MJ CDs and listened via the Lambda Signatures and T1 based on my recommendation, and he agreed with me, there is indeed something special happening there. I'm guessing he has had the R10s in the past too. Baby E, go listen to some MJ and get back to us. ;)

I'm going round to his place next weekend to try the Lambda Signatures after all I've read about them. I will have to see how they compare with the SR5NBs.

Getting there. :)

Thanks, guzzi. ;)

30s ? Ok, I keed I keeeeed... Sorry Vicki.

:asshat:

Seriously though, I do have a few oldies in my playlist that I listen to every now and then; I do enjoy them. ;)

Well, 30s pop was at least interesting from a musical perspective.

Actually, if we're talking pop only, the 50s and 60s, crossing into the early-barely mid 70s really were good years. Beatles were a pop band, as were early Stones; think any good doo wop band; any mediocre Motown song is still better than the best of what came later, and the early 70s had some great singer-songwriters, etc. Just my opinion, mind you, even if I'm right :)

Since you have them superglued to your head, I'm sure you won't mind giving me your W11jpn and K1000 then eh? :P

The W11JPN I don't mind giving up. But my K1000 is practically unused! An almost-NOS pair! I can't use it because it clamps too tight and hurts. And my head is only average-size.

Go dig out your SRM-T1W and plug in your airbow sr-sc1 into it, then listen to "The way you make me feel" by MJ and then exclaim ZOMG!

The album "Bad" isn't bad, but my favorite MJ song is "Thriller" on the Thriller SACD. I can't rip it, it is SACD only. For some reason this disc sounds incredibly good, much better than regular CDs. The sound effects in the song "Thriller" are binaural-like and they are great with headphones.

Elephas, you're getting a BHSE, right? If so, I think you'll find the MK1s sound even better than they do now. Just keep them away from Umbrella remixes and enjoy.

Mama! I've missed you!

Yes, I'm still on the BHSE list. Justin is holding my Jade hostage so I was afraid to cancel my order. I don't expect the BHSE to beat the ES-1, but I look forward to comparing them.

Here's a photo of the Mk1 with Mk2 earpads installed that I just took.

It didn't take as long as I thought, but I did strain a neck muscle a little bit. The left side is sore now, so I have to go lie down for a few hours. Fortunately I can listen to headphones while lying down.

Hey, you try changing the earpads with a trunk. Spritzer has large manly Thor-sized hands and I have to make do with a piece of floppy nose flesh, it's not fair.

SR007withMk2pads.jpg

Oh, almost forgot, I came back here to say that Rihanna- Umbrella (Remixes) did sound kind of horrible with the O2Mk1. I can't remember why I listened to them so much before.

Ah what glorious genuine leather :police:

The SR-007 Mk1 appears dark to some ears but certainly not to mine. The treble is a bit less apparent then most other transducers but then again most transducers have a rather large tilt in the treble.

The SR-007 Mk2/A on the other hand is a bit more forward then the Mk1.

Hi again Spritzer. Apart from the slightly more forward sound of the Mk2s (which I may even like depending on what i partner them to) would you say that the mid-range/bass is till typical Omega/O2 or has it lost in definition?

I dont mind the "forwardness" so much but I would hate to loose bass/midrange "tightness". compared to the 303s (which I am using now with srm 313 headamp) are the Omega/O2/007 mk 2 much improved?

for those that have tried them, do you prefer the mk1 pads or the mk2 pads on the mk1 in terms of SQ? (I don't want to get into the leather debate again, sorry if I missed this comparison, but I haven't seen it directly discussed).

Real leather!!!!!!!!!!!! :P I've compared the pads (even swapped out the slightly different foam on the inside) and I didn't notice much difference between the pads. I'm going to redo the test though as I have a set of Mk2 pads coming in from Japan.

Hi again Spritzer. Apart from the slightly more forward sound of the Mk2s (which I may even like depending on what i partner them to) would you say that the mid-range/bass is till typical Omega/O2 or has it lost in definition?

I dont mind the "forwardness" so much but I would hate to loose bass/midrange "tightness". compared to the 303s (which I am using now with srm 313 headamp) are the Omega/O2/007 mk 2 much improved?

The bass and the midrange are the two areas which I really dislike on the stock Mk2/A. The bass is overblown, with a midbass hump and limited extension while the midrange isn't as linear with a "honk" which exacerbates some tones. In basic terms the Mk2/A has lost the main quality of the Mk1, it had no sound of its own.

According to the reporter from StereoMojo on canjam 08, when he asked the Stax rep about a new earspeaker to fit "above" the 007 mk2s apparently he was told that "something" is in the works.

If this were true it would explain the drop in price on the new 007 mk2s. Does anyone have anything more about this or does anyone know whether Stax is developing a new "top of the range" model?

According to the reporter from StereoMojo on canjam 08, when he asked the Stax rep about a new earspeaker to fit "above" the 007 mk2s apparently he was told that "something" is in the works.

If this were true it would explain the drop in price on the new 007 mk2s. Does anyone have anything more about this or does anyone know whether Stax is developing a new "top of the range" model?

I wonder what would they call it? Delta? Zeta? Omega 3? Maybe just something like SR-008?

SR-008 would make sense (the SR-Omega was really SR-6) but I do doubt that they will be releasing anything soon as the phones aren't the limiting factor in the Stax lineup, the crappy amps are.

The SR-007 Mk2/A has actually increased in price over the Mk1 as the Omega has had a MSRP of 180kYen since 1993 but this was increased to roughly 200kYen with the Mk2/A. There is little to no inflation in Japan so the prices are very stable, not like the blatant robbery in the rest of the world.

Ah what glorious genuine leather :police:

Ah, nice to see someone who is smart and very discerning. Yes, the black Mk2 pads in the photo are obviously glorious genuine leather, no need to point it out. :D

the leather debate again

There is no debate, at least not in the animal kingdom. Mk2 = real leather, Mk1 = not real leather.

I've compared the pads (even swapped out the slightly different foam on the inside)

Oooh, you even swapped out the foam! You... you... you Thor, you!

The bass and the midrange are the two areas which I really dislike on the stock Mk2/A. The bass is overblown, with a midbass hump and limited extension while the midrange isn't as linear with a "honk" which exacerbates some tones. In basic terms the Mk2/A has lost the main quality of the Mk1, it had no sound of its own.

I say we shouldn't make posts about headphones based on memory. As everyone knows, memory is a variable thing and unreliable. Please only post impressions about a headphone if you're actually listening to it at the time.

OK, maybe if you heard it yesterday it's OK too. A week ago or even three weeks ago might also be good enough. But how long do we go? How long is too long? Three months? A year? How about someone hearing an SR-Omega 10 years ago, are his impressions still credible?

:indra::P

Real leather!!!!!!!!!!!! :P I've compared the pads (even swapped out the slightly different foam on the inside) and I didn't notice much difference between the pads. I'm going to redo the test though as I have a set of Mk2 pads coming in from Japan.

Hi again Spriter and thanks for the feed back! is it possible that this could have been caused by the mk2s not being burnt in yet compared to the original O2s you listen to? the truth is I am now seriously considering not upgrading at all or finding (good) second hand O2s