The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

For a desktop rig then the 2050 system is hard to beat. The SR-202 may be the baby of the range but it sounds almost as good as the SR-404LE which the 303/404 do not. The amp may not be a power house but it has more then enough grunt for the Lambdas and it is a design refined which has been refined for over 20 years. Now if you want an Omega, then I'd do what Milos suggested.

Converting this cable to pro bias is making me rage so hard. Again mainly mostly because of my stupidity. At the end of tonight I will either have a working SR-X Pro or a fubar Stax cable.

I never said it was easy but you should be able to do it in 10 minutes. :cool:

The JH13s are better than both. Just don't tell Birgir.

I will hear them soon enough... :P

O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2 O2

My suggestion, based purely on speculation would be something like SRM-717, 404LE with the source of your choice. Yes, it's not top shelf, but I'm guessing that like me you don't or won't get to really actively listen while working and that there will always be some level of ambient noise that tramples over the finer details.

I'm listening to my newly Stax reterminated HE60 from the SRM-T1S and i'm enjoying it immensely. The overall sound is just clean and fast. While the bass is definately on the shy side of neutral quantity wise, i'm really enjoying the quality and detail of it. I was just wondering how much i'm missing out when comparing it to the SR-Omega. I've read many times that the SR-Omega is a better version of the HE60. Now I have heard the SR-Omega, but meet condition impressions are meaningless. Needless to say, I loved what I heard.

At this point now, it seems that i've sold the only dynamic I had interest in, the Qualia 010:( to delve deeper into my electrostatic investments, it only makes sense to invest in the direction I seem to be falling deeper and deeper into. With a BH looming in my immediate future, the SR-007 is staying for sure(even underamped I love it so much) but i've wanted a companion headphone that has a more spacious headstage, and increased treble energy just for a change of pace when I feel like listening less critically. What does the SR-Omega improve over the HE60? What do you fellas think, is it time I start the hunt for one?

When you get your BHSE I'll let you listen to the Omega so you can see how you like it in your own system. I haven't received it yet, but I fully expect it to beat my HE60.

Sweet, we gotta do a mini meet when we get the chance.

The Sr-Omega beats the HE60 hands down at everything except maybe comfort. The HE60 is just so damn light...

Everything huh......damn, looks like i'm screwed.:(

I will have them both here in about 2 weeks. The only problem is I may not have my new amp yet. :palm:

Impressive, did you just recently aquire ownership of them or are they being lent to you? Thats going to be a fun comparison.

Congrats on your high end 'stats! I'm so jelly.

In other news I finally finished the ET1000 normal bias adapter. And uh, hell fucking yes. I'm going to try just one final small damping layer and I think it's gonna kick ass and take times.

Edit: And I'm serious about that last part. Before it kind of was passive aggressive, but now it's punchy as all hell and listening to it is kind of like getting hit in the face repeatedly. In a good way.

I have been very much enjoying listening with n3rdling's Omega I's for the last couple of days out of a T1S. If I had known that I'd have had this opportunity I would have gotten to work on the eXStatA faster, however, despite that, they are awesomely sweet cans in the rig as it is. If I don't listen with my re-cabled HD-800s first, then I don't miss their spacious sound. If I could get hold of a pair myself, I could very well stop here and be happy. Likely I will with O2s and the eXStatA if the combo is as sweet as this.

Quick question...... what is the easiest way to measure/check the bias voltage being produced by an SRD7-SB?

Can I measure from bias to one of the outputs with no music playing, then calculate the actual voltage assuming a 5M ballast resistor in series and 10M multimeter input impedance?