The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I've never used an energizer, but was wondering if, with good amplification in fronth of them, they would compare to Stax amps like the 717/727. I'm trying to decide which direction to go in with Stax-terminated HE60s. I have a solid speaker amp (Usher R1.5) and would prefer to use that to drive the Woo WEE or the SRD-7 rather than having another amp in the chain, but am I sacrificing something (sound-quality wise) if I do that?

That explains why I prefer my SZ3s driven by a world class amp through a modified energizer. My alternative is the Stax SRM007tII, which is OK but not a top tier amp. I suspect my high frequency diminished geriatric hearing has something to do with my satisfaction with the rig.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this at TTVJ:

"They're back - Stax! After a short absence from TTVJ, Stax is back. Look for their whole product line on our site in the coming days. This includes the new SR 009 headphone!"

I only see the SR-009 listed at this point.

Edited by shellylh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, reading the last couple of pages gave me an idea. Since I've always felt that the O2 MK1 is simply too warm/dark for me, would getting a MK2.5 sounds like a better course to pursue instead? And how to make sure that we're getting these newer MK2.5 instead of the older MK2?

Lately I barely have any time to actually sit down and listen to my headphone setup so saving that dough for the SR-009 begins to make less and less sense with each passing day...

All the Mk2.5 sets have a serial number that starts with SZ3-xxxx, the older Mk2's start with SZ2. To these ears the Mk2.5 sounds more forward but also a bit strained in the midrange even though it is quite subtle. If you are interested in a set then I'm going to sell my Mk2.5 soon. Currently with the port plugged but it would be easy enough to remove the plug.

I've spent the last couple of days refurbishing a very beat up set of SR-007 drivers with 3 of 4 dust covers missing and the drivers full of dust and debris. I'm guessing somebody tried to vaccum the drivers or some such stupidity. One just has to admire the build quality of these drivers even though this was Stax doing it on the cheap. They still crackle and pop even after a good cleaning so I'll have to take drastic measures to try and save them.

I was searching for used O2s and I came into a stereophile article where Michael Framer states this

On the other hand, even as earpieces firing into tiny canals, their dynamics were somewhat limited compared to the best moving-coil headphones, such as AKG 701s

As I kept reading I was telling myself mm ok,probably gonna say something like hd800 but no.. K701. How bizarre..