The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'm part of the minority here, in that I actually really like the K701. It definitely doesn't have a natural soundstage, but I feel that with the right system the bass is extremely well textured - if not the last word in impact -, the mids are really nice, striking a good balance between being revealing but also warm and intimate (again, with the right system) and the highs are good, but can be a little too strong sometimes. I just feel that it's a really elegant, airy and effortless presentation, and I thoroughly enjoy it! I like it better than both the HD600/650 and DT880, in fact.

All the Mk2.5 sets have a serial number that starts with SZ3-xxxx, the older Mk2's start with SZ2. To these ears the Mk2.5 sounds more forward but also a bit strained in the midrange even though it is quite subtle. If you are interested in a set then I'm going to sell my Mk2.5 soon. Currently with the port plugged but it would be easy enough to remove the plug.

I've spent the last couple of days refurbishing a very beat up set of SR-007 drivers with 3 of 4 dust covers missing and the drivers full of dust and debris. I'm guessing somebody tried to vaccum the drivers or some such stupidity. One just has to admire the build quality of these drivers even though this was Stax doing it on the cheap. They still crackle and pop even after a good cleaning so I'll have to take drastic measures to try and save them.

Thanks for the detailed explanations, Birgir. azn.gif

I'm honestly still not sure about what course of upgrade to take. I've heard the 007 MK1 plenty of times and I'm probably in the minority that think that these are simply not engaging enough for me. I'm more of a Lambda guy after all so naturally the 009 seems more appropriate. Shame no one around has them so I can't personally take a listen!

Thanks for the detailed explanations, Birgir. azn.gif

I'm honestly still not sure about what course of upgrade to take. I've heard the 007 MK1 plenty of times and I'm probably in the minority that think that these are simply not engaging enough for me. I'm more of a Lambda guy after all so naturally the 009 seems more appropriate. Shame no one around has them so I can't personally take a listen!

SR-Omega would be an option too but it's more similar to the Mk1 then not.

Does anyone know if any other company's ear-pads would fit on a Stax Gamma? Unfortunately Stax doesn't carry any ear-pads for them anymore.

None that I've found.

Hey everyone,

I was going to ask Milos directly, but I figured I might as well just ask in here. I finally have the cash to drop on an R10. Even with all the rave about the 009, the R10s seem more attractive to me because of their rarity, and I know that if I don't like them, I can probably just sell it at no loss and get a 009.

But there's still something on the back of my head giving me doubts about which one I should get… so my question is, how do they compare? I know this is kind of a silly question, but I'm just curious about it… as much as I'm also interested about the new Stax, I'm somewhat worried about its brightness. A friend of mine heart both the 009 and the Orpheus and said that the former is brighter. Having heard the Orpheus a few times, I'm not sure I can handle any more treble than it delivers. I usually prefer a darker and warmer signature, and the 007 is to me sort of a landmark in terms of tonal balance.

So well… sorry about the longish post, but how would you guys briefly compare the 009 to the R10?

You can't if the driver fails the next day.

Indeed. Even if I had the cash there is no way in hell that I would buy something so old, and so difficult to fix or replace. And lets say you absolutely love them - what sort of lifespan are you going to get out of them for the investment?

For that money I would stick with new production.

Now these are very good points... but when I think about headphones, I don't worry very much about this, as they seem to last for quite a long time. I did read on head-fi that those biocelullose drivers aren't meant to last for much more than 20 years though, and if this is the case, then I've definitely got something to worry about.

Is a driver failure really a considerable risk? I mean, considerable enough for me to think twice about getting an R10?

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

Now these are very good points... but when I think about headphones, I don't worry very much about this, as they seem to last for quite a long time. I did read on head-fi that those biocelullose drivers aren't meant to last for much more than 20 years though, and if this is the case, then I've definitely got something to worry about.

Is a driver failure really a considerable risk? I mean, considerable enough for me to think twice about getting an R10?

As you said, the drivers aren't meant to last for more than 20 years -- and most R10s are pre-2000. The risk is not insignificant since finding matching replacement drivers are almost impossible (and afaik I've only heard of one HF'er, Purk, who has owned a spare driver).

Thanks a lot for the honest opinion everyone, I'm seriously taking a second look at my options now. Maybe even getting a BHSE and a 007 again (as I sold it, but only temporarily, while I don't sell my bass guitar) and 009 in the future if I like it.

I guess I'll drive to São Paulo and have a listen to Erico's 009 and see what I think of it!

The problems with the R10 are numerous (no parts, crumbling foam which can get into the drivers etc.) but how they are built also makes them very hard to service. The only person even willing to look at them seems to have vanished and taken a R10 with him belonging to one of our members...... angry.png

On the issue of the 009 being too bright, I have found an amp that makes them 'em work for these ears. It takes the edge off just enough so I can listen to Iron Maiden at silly levels yet not sacrifice the stunning clarity. :)

Oh, I'm aware of this story, Birgir! That's really messed up, I sincerely hope there's a good reason for that.

And what amplifier is that? Seems interesting! That's basically the problem for me, I can handle a bright headphone for jazz or classical, as it suits these styles quite well. But anything brighter than an O2 or a JH13 for rock is simply unbearable. And the thing is that if a headphone is not bright and is good for rock, to me it doesn't lose any ability to do well in other styles, and I don't miss any treble tilt. So I'd rather have an overly dark headphone over an overly bright one anytime. The 009 seems astonishing by what people are saying, but if it's too bright... that would limit what I listen to with it! embarrassed.gif

How would a GES pair with it? I remember hearing people say it was way too dark with the O2... maybe it suits the 009 well?

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

The amp is a fully rebuilt Stax SRA-10S with the preamp and phono amps removed. It's a pretty neat little amp and is mostly DC coupled except for the output stage which uses small silver mica caps on the output. Plenty of voltage swing and pure Class A power. Now by modern standards it does have some issues such as high imput impedance, way too much crap in the signal path and the output transistors are very much of it's time. Since I have two of them then the plan is to rebuild one to be as close to original as is possible but the other one will be modernized as a headphone amp only. New volume control, 2SC4686A output transistors, all new parts etc.

As for the GES, I'm not so sure. It has a lot of caps in the signal path which will alter the sound quite a bit. I do have a version of that circuit ready for testing so I can report on the match once I can get to that. Who knows when that will be since the next few weeks will be murder...