The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

i now have about 25k in worthless Stax inventory, and my own stuff just got 20% more expensive in Japan.  only positive is i might have more BHSEs to build

Wait, what?  Why, what happened?  'Currency fluctuations'...so the Yen dropped, and your competitors will be able to buy more cheaply than you did, is that what happened?  Isn't there usually a time-lag on that stuff?  I.E. won't at least some of your competitors also have stock to sell first? 

the U.S. dealer cost and U.S. retail cost should fall as well, but that's not how it works :) Kind of thing people in Canada/Europe/Australia are always bitching about

I would also expect the SR-009 lead time to jump really high because of this.  The 4-5 weeks that a particular website is quoting is not accurate.  It's more like 4-5 months at this point.

Edited by justin

Yeh exports will be cheaper BUT if you need to import lots of components, energy and materials to manufacture them they will cost more due to inflation.  Also people will want higher wages to cover food, energy etc.  Japan are trying to stimulate inflation (rising prices) in their economy as they have been in a deflationary spiral for decades.  So I would expect in the medium term for prices to rise, not fall, that is if the Bank of Japan's strategy actually works to stimulate at least 2% inflation!   

Wait, what?  Why, what happened?  'Currency fluctuations'...so the Yen dropped, and your competitors will be able to buy more cheaply than you did, is that what happened?  Isn't there usually a time-lag on that stuff?  I.E. won't at least some of your competitors also have stock to sell first? 

Edited by complin

Spritzer, do you still have any stax bias boards lying around? I'm thinking of getting a 580V bias hacked onto it. My other pro headphones are sensitive enough to run off the ECA-80's stock bias, but the O2 is a totally different story.

Another option is I can provide an SRD-7 Pro or an SRD-7 Mk2 SB if you want.

Spritzer, do you still have any stax bias boards lying around? I'm thinking of getting a 580V bias hacked onto it. My other pro headphones are sensitive enough to run off the ECA-80's stock bias, but the O2 is a totally different story.

Yup, I recently stocked up on them again. 

• 1 month later...

I just got my 007mk1, but it has a slight channel imbalance issue. The left channel is 1dBA higher than the right. I realized it immediately when I put them on, then I confirmed it with a dB meter.

The seller, of course, claimed it to be free of such problem. He had a 717 amp, and probably didn't notice the imbalance because it is so small.

I just want to know if this is a common problem, and if it is a problem to be concerned about.

Thanks.