The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

• 2 weeks later...

Is there someone I can borrow a SR-009 from quickly?

Need to compare with Abyss and HD800 for review.

Tats doesn't have his demo unit available.

I need it for ten days. I'll send you a UPS label immediately, and I'll need you to get it into UPS quickly.

I'll ship it back on or before the 18th of this month.

Must be in USA.

Thanks for your help.

Is there someone I can borrow a SR-009 from quickly?

Need to compare with Abyss and HD800 for review.

Tats doesn't have his demo unit available.

I need it for ten days. I'll send you a UPS label immediately, and I'll need you to get it into UPS quickly.

I'll ship it back on or before the 18th of this month.

Must be in USA.

Thanks for your help.

YGPM

Some info for people looking for some subsitute 007 Parts:

The rubber grommet holding the pad arc assembly in place above the driver can be replaced by Kyosho VZ246, their 2mm rubber grommet which I'm assuming is for RC car parts. I just had my Stax cable replaced and when I opened things up to poke around I noticed the grommet had deteriorated quite a bit. I didn't want bits of rubber flaking off onto the driver so I grabbed these off ebay. They come in packs of 5 (lolwut)

FWIW, Elusive Disc is having a 12% off sale through 7/22 @ 6pm EST.  Anything not marked "Ineligible for further discount" should be good.  Stax is no longer listed as such; was thinking of getting the SR-207 to use when I think the Lambda Pro's are too bright (net cost will be about $370 IIRC).

Any thoughts yea or nay?  Will think about it over the weekend and buy Sunday night or Monday.  Thinking yea based on what Birgir wrote earlier....

Edited by skullguise

I bought the SR-507 new and IMO it's a big pile of turds.  Its sound signature -- as spritzer has mentioned many times before and I really should have listened -- is that of an extreme "U", and its soundstage is so shallow it's like an electrostatic Grado.

Boo urns!

You have to bring it next time you're in the states for a meet!

Your post also reminds me I still haven't heard an LNS yet, along with Lambda Spirit, Gamma Pro, SR-X Mk1/2, SR-3 non N, SR-1, Sigma, etc... :(

I'd be happy to.bring them along.  One driver buzzes enough to annoy me so they need to be fixed at some point...

Seems people liked the SR-1 Milos had at the LA meet.  We inadvertently got into a bidding war over that one...  :laugh:

Milos told me he beat you on that one :)

The left channel did not seem to charge completely, but they sounded very nice.

It was a pleasure to listen to so much history there. If it had ended up in Iceland, would not have been able to!

Haha, in true over-the-top Birgir fashion... gotta have three of one of the rarest electrostats of all time. I'll bet the SR-1 sounds good, even if not the best technically. Old Stax are best Stax. I actually quite like my SR-3N but haven't heard the original version which you like better.

People were pretty impressed by the one channel they could hear. :P  When I got home I felt like an idiot for not utilizing the volume balance on the T1...it's been too long since I've used a Stax amp.  Now that I have that sorted out, they sound great.  I plan to clean them up, open them, and restore them so they work as new again.  Next meet should be interesting...maybe I'll connect it to the Blue Hawaii >:D

For me it's all about research.  Not nearly enough data on this stuff so I buy nearly all I can find. 

It's through your research that people including me and Milos have esoteric 'stats in the first place :D Lord knows I have way too many vintage 'stats as it is, albeit a miniscule fraction of the amount you've collected over the years. Been meaning to find some new pads for my gutted ESP6 with ESP950 cable and it's been over a year at the very least. Laziness trumps all.

People were pretty impressed by the one channel they could hear. :P  When I got home I felt like an idiot for not utilizing the volume balance on the T1...it's been too long since I've used a Stax amp.  Now that I have that sorted out, they sound great.  I plan to clean them up, open them, and restore them so they work as new again.  Next meet should be interesting...maybe I'll connect it to the Blue Hawaii >:D

Hope you figure out how to fix the channel imbalance! And if you do use the BH, don't forget to decrease the bias to 180-200V. I'm not sure if the SR-1 can handle any higher, deferring to Birgir on this one. What are your thoughts on sound, compared to other 'stats and in general?