HDTV Suggestions

tkam

sure you can turn 3d off & just enjoy the 2d...so it's like a bonus...i just wouldn't buy a tv whose main selling point is the 3d tech...& as far as the best 2d being in 3d sets, well, the best 2d is still Kuro...if panny had fully implemented the tech from the Pioneer engineers they hired away, wouldn't you expect performance to be a bit closer?...maybe the VT30'll be a different story...maybe...

on the lcd side, i still say most tech is going backwards...lg & vizio seem to be the only ones set on keeping models with the things i mentioned (ips panel, full array local dimming led backlighting) & having 3d capability...

as to why you want 3d right now...well...reduced refresh rates when it's active...reduced viewing angle...reduced resolution...losing/breaking/misplacing the $150/pair glasses...the noticeable flicker from those glasses...headaches...buying hdmi 1.4 gear just in time for the next change in standard...all to get the experience of 3d in movies that weren't even shot in 3d:)...

Dinny, if you are willing to spend $3000-$4000+ on a Kuro be my guest, but the vt25 would perfectly satisfy 95%of the viewing population. Your not a videophile and any of the current plasmas will serve your needs. If you were willing spend $3000+then I would consider some of the local dimming LEDs but even then because of your love for Sony xbr I would still sway you to go plasma.

• 1 month later...

I ultimately got the GT25. So far, I've been happy with it. It appears all you have to do to get a decent-looking picture is set THX mode and adjust the usual parameters (white level, black level, sharpness and color balance) to taste. The out-of-the-box defaults turned any under-exposed (or dark and low contrast on purpose) areas of the image into a storm of noise. That was a little scary. With that now under control, I've been well pleased.

Mine's on a stand now, but I'm looking for an articulated wall mount so I can have the panel and the front of the dialog speaker in the same plane. Where to put the dialog speaker was/is more of an issue than I expected.

FFFUUUU

I had the GT25 sitting in my Amazon cart for 999. Now it's out of stock and the new ones are in. I don't think it's likely I'll see that model at that price on amazon again, which sucks because I can use Amex points and get free shipping and all that stuff. There's a used one "like new" fulfilled by Amazon, but I don't want a used one right?

What do you guys think about a GT20 (which is the GT 25 but made specifically for Best Buy) from the Best Buy outlet? Brand new, not a refurb.

I was under the impression that the GT20 was the European model & that it has different menu options...

there's a < $900 deal on the GT25 over at slickdeals.net every other day...

One of my friends picked up an old stock Elite Kuro. Truly an impressive set, there is no doubt the blacks are better than my G25 (and his G20). He's flying in someone to have it calibrated after his HT room is finished, going the whole nine yards with built in dimming lighting, curtains over the tv, etc. He will have two dedicated rooms for just audio/video and audio :o

I just went to best buy to look around. I always forget how depressing it is there. And how shitty the selection is. The vt25 was there but only with 3D content. The 3D is pretty decent but almost immediately made my eyes hurt and gave me fears of impending spasm.

Also, why is it that there is always some couple in Best Buy sitting in one of the viewing room demo setups watching bleary-eyed some ridiculous concert video that they clearly don't care about, but continuing to sit there, almost drooling, with no intention of letting anyone else check out the setup?