The Ultimate DIY Part 2 ? The KGITSOJC

kevin gilmore

At least for me, it's just easier to go along with what the majority want to do. Panel wise and stuff it sorts out a lot of the headaches.

I'm a great believer in more-is-less.

That is why (some) classical recordings from the 1950's are so terrific - a couple of stereo pair mikes, two or three triodes, straight into a reel to reel. Eg Mercury Living Presence's 1812 and Beethoven's Wellington's Victory. Or the similar era Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique recorded in Walthamstow town hall with Barbirolli and the LPO in 1962. Or a staggering Der Rosenkavalier with Schwarzkopf in 1956 on EMI (stereo pair for the orchestra, a pair for the orchestra and a pair for the choir). Knocks many modern versions that go through a room-wide mixing desk and umpteen amplification stages into a cocked hat.

So if a digital remote of whatever flavour screws the sound up, lets have a knob.

i'll simplify it since you still arent getting the picture; hint 1 device = many remotes. I never said anything about having the dac functions on the amp.......

my journey from the bus stop is

1 listening to my portable dac/amp/JH13 via USB (camera connection)

2 I round the corner and pick up my hub, wake mac from sleep

3 check volume on (or choose) my transport in audio midi setup panel (RME PCI interface feeding BNC, AES or, M2TECH USB)

4 select playlist in itunes as if I was there

5 hit play

6 walk through the door to the music I just selected

7 open mail

8 relax on the deck, sipping single malt, listening to tunes and checking email

*volume will be controlled directly with ackodac uC as soon as the API is finished

and again, it doesnt have to be an ipad, just seems the logical choice (FOR ME) I get the idea of a cool hefty dedicated remote to match the superb chassis, but I have enough of them and I personally like having it all on the one device much more, so was just a suggestion.

BTW I used to run high resolution (>10000dpi) drum scanners in a pre-press house for my job and photographic compositing (in photoshop) freelance for many years after that; I have a pretty good idea what high resolution looks like. my guess is you were using iphone apps on the ipad early in the piece before native apps were the norm.

but no more OT, its clear you are anti idevices and thats cool; therefore this conversation is not only off topic, but not going to go anywhere.

i'll go back to watching these sexy amps take shape from the sidelines and look forward to hearing Nattonrice's amp at the next Sydney meet.

good show chaps!! stay safe

Edited by qusp
shortened post

So here is my comment on remote controls, after 20 years of trying to find the perfect one.

The sony programmable, the pronto, the harmony, software for the palm, software for a few other things,

and lately a crestron system. Every single one of them has serious design flaws. While i don't like

a pile of remotes, i have yet to find a better alternative. I am still looking. None of the above seem

to do as well a job on any particular device, than the original device does. Not sure why.

The touch panel is also the display. The infrared control will be something with an absolutely standard

and easily duplicatable control structure. If the touch panel software is written right, and it will be,

the cpu that runs the thing goes to sleep unless there is something to do. Combined with latching

relays that don't require power to keep activated. So all the magic crap is deactivated while you

are listening to music. So i don't see how the cpu is going to cause any trouble.

So here is my comment on remote controls, after 20 years of trying to find the perfect one.

The sony programmable, the pronto, the harmony, software for the palm, software for a few other things,

and lately a crestron system. Every single one of them has serious design flaws. While i don't like

a pile of remotes, i have yet to find a better alternative. I am still looking. None of the above seem

to do as well a job on any particular device, than the original device does. Not sure why.

The touch panel is also the display. The infrared control will be something with an absolutely standard

and easily duplicatable control structure. If the touch panel software is written right, and it will be,

the cpu that runs the thing goes to sleep unless there is something to do. Combined with latching

relays that don't require power to keep activated. So all the magic crap is deactivated while you

are listening to music. So i don't see how the cpu is going to cause any trouble.

It seems maybe we should start a remote control company. Have you tried the Nevos? The HT companies around here seem to really like them especially over the Prontos.

Good to know, thanks KG.

All in one devices, for the most part, are useless.

Edited by deepak

Excellent, I like the way you think. I was thinking aluminum remote too. One that would be a menace to hard wood floors, small children and pets.

edit: my Audio Space integrated has a really nice remote. I don't know if it's aluminum, but it's 2 pieces of heavy metal. We could probably find something similar from China.

I do too. I always liked the remote to Voltron's Onix player. I would want the titanium remote to have razor sharp edges too to punish those that don't accord it due respect when handling it.

The touch panel is also the display.

The infrared control will be something with an absolutely standard and easily duplicatable control structure.

If the touch panel software is written right, and it will be,

the cpu that runs the thing goes to sleep unless there is something to do.

Combined with latching relays that don't require power to keep activated.

So all the magic crap is deactivated while you are listening to music.

So i don't see how the cpu is going to cause any trouble.

Reformatted to make the beautiful beautiful poetry more obvious.

As with everything else in this fucked up world of ours, continuing availibility of repair parts in the future is a real problem.

For that reason i did not go with the 4D systems oled, which has already been end of lifed. What i need to do is find a display

device that is in massive use to guarantee lots of replacement parts.

• 3 months later...