Major Surgery Revives 35 Year Old Amp

agile_one

Don't make any mistakes with this amp...

Doing so would cause the output transistors to fail, and

any modern replacements are going to sound completely

different.

As i remember there is virtually no short circuit protection

on this thing. Should be a great headphone amp, or

if you have k-horns... which is what it was designed for.

Just got back from camping and was treated to this hot stuff from my main man. Killer amp Gene and beautiful pics to boot.

Did you actually buy one already JP? That was indeed fast and Nate barely had to coax you (of course).

Have fun Gene!

And welcome to lafingas. Nice to see that someone can manage a good first post around here. Hope you hang out and share some Pioneer/Quad pron.

This is my first time posting here but long time lurking . I just have to say that I have two M-22 amps driving my stacked pair (4) of Quad ESL 57 . I'm finally satisfied with my system, the imaging and musicality is unbeatable.

THAT is how you structure a first post, sir.

Also, holy crap do I ever want an M-22 now. I'll take 30 Class A watts over 150 AB watts any day. No K Horns here, but plenty of horns nonetheless. I effing love that amp, Gene -- completely beautiful.

This is my first time posting here but long time lurking . I just have to say that I have two M-22 amps driving my stacked pair (4) of Quad ESL 57 . I'm finally satisfied with my system, the imaging and musicality is unbeatable.

That sounds like quite a setup, any pictures to satisfy the thirst?

Don't make any mistakes with this amp...

Doing so would cause the output transistors to fail, and

any modern replacements are going to sound completely

different.

As i remember there is virtually no short circuit protection

on this thing. Should be a great headphone amp, or

if you have k-horns... which is what it was designed for.

Thanks for the advice, Kevin. The M-22 does, indeed, run quite hot, as you would expect for a pure Class A amp. Good ventilation will be key to longevity. I have the service manual, and a quick read finds that there is some protection circuity within: 1. Inrush Current Suppressor Circuit, 2. Overload Detector Circuit, 3. Center Point Potential Detector Circuit, and 4. Overheating Detector Circuit. The SM goes on to describe each, and how they work, etc - way over my head, but you and Birgir would probably find it a good read along with the schematics. :)

Welcome, lafingas. I would kill to hear your system. What do you source it with? Also, as others have said, pictures would be wonderful, when you get a chance.

Congrats Gene!...if there is an amp that improves upon my zanden with the k1k, then I'm glad that you found it!

Hope you enjoy many hrs of happy listening

Thanks, Min. Note, I was careful to say ("as good as any k1000 amp I've heard" :) Your Zanden is the benchmark, and I would love to hear side by side one day.

Picked mine up last night and all I can say is wow, it throws a huge soundstage that is holographic. The Bass and Mids are strong points with the treble well extended but not splashy at all. So initial impressions are rock solid, I'll live with it for a week then flip the MCormack and or Dared 845 amp back in for comparison.

Gene did they replace the output transistors in yours, I am really thinking of getting mine done by these guys over the next month or so.

PIONEER M22 M25 KENWOOD KA-9100 REPAIR RESTORATION SERV - eBay (item 190410759430 end time Jul-27-10 20:54:52 PDT)

Nice, John. Yes, those are the guys that did mine. Hamad was good to work with, and a very honest guy. I was lucky with the major components (transformers, big output caps, and power transistors) - all tested ok. They did remove, clean, and reseat the power transistors with fresh potting compound, though. Biggest issues with mine were noisy/bad relays in protection circuits, worn/burned diodes and capacitors pretty much everywhere, and noisy/drifting adjustment pots. All were replaced, and bias and offset put to spec (this is not that hard to do yourself), and it now sings like the angels.

While they had it, they also had a Krell KSA 150, so they couldn't resist a little head to head. They preferred the M-22. Of course the KSA 150 will power much bigger or less efficient speakers (150 vs 30 wpc). They were using with Lowther horn setup, so very efficient.

I actually get by with mbp, iPad, slim, and headphones. Plenty of diversions - great bars and breweries (Allagash, Shipyard, Geary's), couple of Sox games at Fenway, boating, hiking, and hanging with old friends.

Oh, just for curiosity, I checked today's value of $795. in 1976 ... just a bit over $3000. That seems about right for an equivalent amp today.