Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Thanks. It did taste good but my briskets are still a work in progress. They are drier than I would like it to be, despite spray with apple juice every 30 minutes.

Gene, I want to replace my grill. It's getting old and I do not want to put any more money into it. I have a grill, Steel Keg (like BGE) and a smoker.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep buying dried Chipotle peppers at the store because they smell so wonderful. However, I don't know what to you them in. Does anyone know a really good recipe that uses them? Oh, and I don't eat anything that has lived under water... just meat, grains, veggies, etc.

Didn't find anything interesting to make with dried chipotle peppers so I made something up myself and it was damn good. I like how the spiciness and tanginess (sp?) interact.

Ingredients (no real measurements):

2 "half" chicken breasts (from 1 whole chicken breast)

2 dried chipotle peppers very finely chopped (aka minced I suppose)

lemon zest from 2 medium lemons

lemon juice from 1 lemon

flour

2 eggs

lots of garlic powder

freshly ground sea salt

freshly ground black peppercorns

McCormick "italian seasoning" (marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, and basil)

olive oil

white vermouth or white wine (I used Dolin blanc)

basmati rice

butter

I would have prefer some fresh herbs (like thyme, sage, and rosemary) to the McCormick mix but that was all I had at the time.

The basic idea:

Pound the chicken breasts to make them flatter.

Add lots of garlic powder, chipotle peppers (keeping the seeds), salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and lemon zest to the flour and mix up. Use enough flour to coat the chicken but not so that there is a large flour:other stuff ratio. Dip each chicken breast in egg, then the flour mixture, then the egg again, then the flour mixture again. Add a layer of olive oil to a pan (I like to use cast iron) and cook on medium to brown both sides. Then let them cook on low until they are cooked. Add some butter, lemon juice, and vermouth and cook on low for a few minutes.

Cook some rice (I used basmati rice) and then add a bit of butter to the rice. Serve the chicken over the rice. Drizzle some of the leftover juice from the pan over the chicken. If you want, squeeze a little more lemon over the chicken.

Add more peppers if you want it spicier.

I made "chili" the other day, and I added way too much water. Been trying to cook it off in a crockpot, but at this point it's been 4 hours/night for 2 nights and has a long way to go. What ingredient or ingredients should I add to thicken things up? I'm almost tempted to do something really out of the ordinary at this point, like oatmeal. Would that be bad somehow?

And when I say, "chili", it's not really chili, it's just a bunch of crap I threw together: 2 lbs. ground chicken, 1 jar of Newman's Own spaghetti sauce (specifically the Sockarooni variety), lots of chili powder (basically, added chili powder until it stopped smelling like spaghetti and more like chili), one can of tomato paste, 1.5 Spanish onions, 1 thing of prepacked garlic (about half a dozen cloves).

Any suggestions? I almost brought it to work with me today so that I could give it another 8 hours.

I can actually do the corn chips, I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks!

Re: Jacob -- I was being lazy. I thought I had everything when I started, then realized I didn't have tomato sauce, so substituted what I had on hand. I'm a "never make it the same way twice" kind of guy, when it comes to chili.

Also trying to cut down my red meat intake.

Reminds me, need to pick up some turkey dogs.

Shelly, I do really love eggplants, will try that next time, that sounds good, but at this point, I'm going to miss the grocery store closing. Also olives...hmmm...I actually do have olives, might have to try that.