Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

My recipe was improvised - I used the basic method from here: http://dishbydish.net/2013/01/14/beef-liver-pate/

Then I added some curry, cumin, and dijon mustard in increasing amounts until it tasted like something I'd want on a cracker.

I've got no experience with pate, but I've got a lot of liver in the freezer, so I'll probably make it a few more times unless this one turns out to be regrettable.

I have a duck liver in my freezer...

Try soaking it in milk overnight.  Beef liver may take longer, as I presume it is larger.

Jacob, when I miss one of my connecting flights through CVG with a 30 minute layover this week, you will make me a banh mi, right?

I'll try that; thanks.

A beef liver is probably bigger than a couple of whole ducks.  Thankfully, our butcher cut them into 1/2" slices for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Made real chili for a preschool parent's mixer we're having at the house tomorrow. Also made caramelized carrot soup (a la Modernist Cuisine at Home) for a nice fall starter.

Seriously, caramelized carrot soup is just about the most awesome thing ever.

Just looked up that book and it looks very good.  This and a good pressure cooker sounds like a nice Christmas gift.  

I'll have to start looking into pressure cookers then... any recommendations?  I assume stove top is better than an electric one.  My stove isn't super great at cooking really really low but I hope to get a new stove at some point.  

That one looks very nice!

I was looking at this one which is about the same price.  Have you heard of it?  Maybe it is used more for canning though.  

What is a good size (cooking usually for 2 people)?

http://www.amazon.com/All-American-921-2-Quart-Pressure/dp/B00004S88Z/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1382312316&sr=8-8&keywords=pressure+cooker

• 3 weeks later...

Grill away!  ~24 hours of water loss uncovered in the fridge just leads to a better crust!

I braised some rod cod for dinner tonight, over a sauteed onion, two heads of baby bock choy, and 3 thai chilis, with a bit of rosemary and thyme, and about half a cup of Vya dry vermouth.  Absolutely delicious!

ud81.jpg

Edited by cetoole
  • Like 1