Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

A batch of bacon wrapped goat's cheese stuffed dates for later tonight. attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1387069021627.jpg

Wanted to make some of these for Christmas tomorrow but I forgot the goat cheese.  I am not sure it it worth braving the store today to get it... :(  I suppose I could substitute feta. 

Edited by shellylh

• 2 weeks later...

that's my favorite of their chili.

My favorite chili ever is new mexican green chile stew, but I can't make that (hatch chiles are completely different when they've been shipped)

My quick chili, like tonight, was 1 lb of ground pork and 1 lb of ground beef, with my own chile powder, onions, tomatoes, beans, and corn chips as a thickener.

My "contest" chili is basically chili pot roast, cooked for 12 hrs, allowed to rest, then cooked again.  No beans or corn chips in the contest chili, and beer as the liquid, if my kids aren't going to eat it (they're gluten free)

• Like 1

Made my mop sauce and finishing sauce, trimmed the Boston butt, took the membrane off the ribs, rubbed all of them down with slightly modified Meathead's Memphis dust, and got things ready to go for tomorrow.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate, as I do want to smoke the Boston butt (I'm going to do the ribs in the oven, Rendezvous style as I get inconsistent results when I do both ribs and butt in my Weber), but I'll do everything in the oven if I need to.  Wouldn't be smoked, but it would still be tasty.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Back when I made chili (I really need to get back to that, I was really happy with it 99% of the time), my first from-scratch recipe was looking at the box, and pulling out all the ingredients, and guessing at the amounts of each.  I never made it the same after that, sometimes adding ingredients, sometimes leaving one or the other out (white pepper was a favourite).  But yeah, for the most part, it was in the region of Terlingua Red, usually a little muddier (I had a heavy hand).

Re:  Johnson's chili recipe -- tangential anecdote:

I was doctoring some Newman's Own Beef & Broccoli Skillet for Two, and I didn't realize the hot sauce I had was wide open.  I ended up dumping a half bottle of Wizard's Organic Hot Sauce in there.  It was actually really good, but I realize I got lucky, you can't do that with just any hot sauce, you have to imagine it in the recipe.

Has anybody here ever re-seasoned a French carbon steel pan, forgotten that it had just been in a 400 degree oven, and picked it up with their left hand, the hand that isn't a mass of scars and knife sharpening calluses? I just did. I yelped, set it down carefully, and then ran an oiled cloth over the interior of the pan. I'm ready to work in a restaurant, I think. :) Something that resembles a glove just peeled off my left hand, and it was creepy.
Fuck, that sounds painful!

• 4 weeks later...

Looks nice. Recipe, please!

Ingredients

Vegetable oil cooking spray

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 medium fennel bulbs, outer layers removed, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes

One 15-ounce can cannellini beans

One 10-ounce bunch kale, center rib removed, leaves chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

4 turkey or chicken Italian sausage links

Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a grill pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, onion, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes (plus juices), beans, kale and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the kale has wilted, 25 to 30 minutes.

While the stew is cooking, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Add the sausages and grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Cool and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

Remove the pan from the oven and add the cooked sausage slices. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Spoon the stew into bowls and serve.

• Like 1