What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

mikeymad,

I'm noticing you are drinking pre-Suntory, pre-design change Macallan.

A few years back I found two very dusty bottles of 12 yr at a Mom and Pop liquor store.

The taste has changed, to me. Still like the 12 yr but Tomatin now seems to compete with it for less money...

I had a pre-design change 10 yr brought back from Inverness but it needs more aging.

What's your opinion of the current crop of the Macallan?

(I had read a while back that they have stopped using same percentage of golden promise grain.)

Just had some 15 yr "Fine Oak" and while it was sweet and clean, it didn't have anything that interesting going on with it.

More Macallan for the fun of it:

--> Macallan 87/18yo 43% (OB)

IMG_0030.jpg

Have you tried this Bourbon before? If you have, have you had any Bourbon that you liked better?

post-2754-0-28333600-1310899841_thumb.jp

post-2754-0-67847300-1310899870_thumb.jp

mikeymad,

What's your opinion of the current crop of the Macallan?

Have you tried this Bourbon before? If you have, have you had any Bourbon that you liked better?

Hey Cee Tee,

The Current Macallan 12yo I really like, it has gotten back to the rich sherry notes that I liked in the older ones. I have bought a lot of it (bought 3 of the 1.75L at Costco).. drinking them and will replace when empty. I like the current releases of the 18yo vintage as well 1990+. From about the 1980 vintage to 1988 they where a little dull. I think it was when they were really struggling to get good sherry casks. I don't follow their process to know if they changed any production methodology. I currently have a lot of Macallan 18yo's in stock, so I am not buying new ones. But now that I have tried the new ones. I have no worries about drinking into my stock, because I like the new ones enough for replacements. I have not really liked the 'fine oak' series. When they are older they are drinkable, but not for the price. So I stick on the sherry side of the Macallan fence, and I like it there.

I have had the Jefferson's before.. It is nice (don't remember if I had batch 1). It is interesting that it says 'Distilled from Wheat'. It must have at lease 51% corn in it to be called bourbon in the first place, so I guess that most of the rest is wheat? Just not sure what the selling point is.

For me right now, I really like the various Four Roses single barrel releases that you can get. With the different sour mash percentages, and yeast selection, can really make a different beverage. Binny's out of Chicago has a lot of the variations. The other is the George T Stagg releases (super high proof). It is more of an extreme bourbon... But truth is, I am drinking more Rye's these days.

Cheers,

Mikey

(I should have sent you a PM, no one wants to read all this crap in a drinking thread!... :stick: )

We definitely appreciate you sharing your whisk(e)y knowledge, Mikey, so please keep it public! :)

I don't think I should drink to my mom with this one, so I am toasting my HC friends and especially Mike Sr. Who sent it to me. Cheers everyone and behemoth thanks Mike!

18056ae2-6458-8c47.jpg

We definitely appreciate you sharing your whisk(e)y knowledge, Mikey, so please keep it public! :)

I don't think I should drink to my mom with this one, so I am toasting my HC friends and especially Mike Sr. Who sent it to me. Cheers everyone and behemoth thanks Mike!

18056ae2-6458-8c47.jpg

No thanks needed my friend. Enjoy it in good health. If I get off my lazy ass there is another drop shipment due.