What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Satan's Whiskers (marcelled)

Adapted from a recipe by William Eichinger, Finnegan's Wake, San Francisco.

• 1 1/2 ounces gin
  • 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
  • 1 1/4 ounces fresh orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon falernum syrup
  • 2 dashes Fee Brothers Old-Fashioned bitters

Instructions: Place all ingredients in a mixing glass. Add ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Read the article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/09/FDHH1KL8RM.DTL#ixzz1XzF7M8yy

Lacking any sweet vermouth I used Chinato to good effect. I will try some of the other variations too, but this one with Falernum seemed the most interesting. My favorite Regan quote: "I found that, if I simply called for more gin, rather than pedestrian, Satan's Whiskers can be rather intriguing. More gin tends to have that effect on many drinks, I think."

1805639f-6ccf-b619.jpg

Edited by Voltron

Satan's Whiskers (enroulée)

Makes 1 drink

• 1 1/2 ounces gin
  • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
  • 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
  • 1/2 ounce Mandarine Napoléon
  • 1/4 ounce fresh orange juice
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters

Instructions: Place all ingredients in a mixing glass. Add ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

1805639f-7288-a253.jpg

Yep, that is a 375ml bottle and it is almost gone. I need to stop by Cask and get some vermouth and chinato and whatever else jumps out.

Edited by Voltron

Manhattan with Sazerac Rye, Vya sweet vermouth and cherry bitters. The Vya is a lot better than I thought it would be. Still like the Cocci Torino (and Carpano Antica) better but it is definitely a good alternative if you cannot get one of those. Also, it probably mixes better in other drinks than the Carpano Antica (and comes in a mere 750ml bottle).

I am now tempted to try the Vya dry vermouth.

Edited by shellylh

Birkenhead Pride Old English Bitter.

birkenheadpride1.jpg

The beer is so-so, but the story is good. Walker Bay is just up the coast from (aptly named!) Danger Point, where the troopship HMS Birkenhead went down with 600 British soldiers aboard in 1852. Only one lifeboat could be launched and the men stood at attention on the deck while the women and children aboard were loaded into it and the ship sank underneath them. This was the origin of the phrase "women and children first". Those that didn't drown were eaten by sharks -- to this day, that area is crawling (swimming?) with Great Whites.

The label is from an illustration of the period. Would it be disrespectful to say those two gents in the middle seem to be sharing a moment?

"Carruthers, I've always loved you!"

"Damn it, Fortescue. It's hard enough keeping this upper lip stiff as it is."

lancecalkin902.jpg