What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

I just listened to Mehliana once at work but it is pretty cool to hear Mehldau going a little wild with keyboards and playing some free form fusion.  Guiliana's drumming is great.  I need to listen more.  Oh, and don't get hung up on the talky opener in which Mehldau describes a dream or something.  It threw me off but it is a passing thing and not repeated in the rest of the songs.

New Notwist has some real keepers, and has already shown up on HDTracks (although it's 24/44.1...waiwha?).

Also previewed the new Beck, that had a couple of strong tracks, too.

Also listened to a lot of jazz yesterday -- Miles, Bill Evans, etc.  Will probably listen to more today, need to keep my blood pressure down.  Damm stooped koworkrz.

Beck's new album Morning Phase, supposedly a sequel to Sea Changes... and I can hear it in the very first notes.

Thanks for the full album preview, NPR.  http://www.npr.org/2014/02/16/274773496/first-listen-beck-morning-phase?utm_source=music&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20140217

Interesting review of the various versions available of this album:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/569-and-winner-%85/

Silver Ray - "New Love"

R-948037-1351803662-2726.jpeg

An Australian band that's on constant rotation. Might be hard to find as they aren't very well known here in the states ... they've toured quite a bit opening for Nick Cave.

Super smooth and moody and spatially cool guitar music; meandering is a word that comes to mind. A kick ass record with nary a vocal line to speak of and super sweet melodies. I find it a great listen when I'm extremely hung over and fearing that any sort of lyrical music I listen too might get stuck in my head as an endless loop when trying to go to sleep. Sad but true ... good anger management music too. ;-)